Small Woodland Owners' Group

Wood owner average age

Here's a place for 'Off Topic' discussions and general chit chat between member. Please keep to the guidelines of the forum, and if it turns into a useful 'Woodie' type discussion, hop back and post it over in the appropriate section in the main forum.

Re: Wood owner average age

Postby Binz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:49 pm

in our 40's. had thought 'when we retire we'll get a wood' then thought 'why wait', what will it take to make a wish a reality? so got 2nd mortgage and went and did it. Glad we did it early enough that our son had some of his childhood there.
Binz

Postby The Barrowers » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Now wish I had bought a wood 20 years ago when I was 37 years old but priorities change and evolve
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby TerryH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:18 pm

46 ( and 11/12ths! ) here.

oldclaypaws wrote:One quite fetching carbon atom in my left kneecap...

That was so "Douglas Adams". Well done that man :D
TerryH

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:59 pm

The first ten million years were the worst. And the second ten million: they were the worst, too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that, I went into a bit of a decline.

Life? Don't talk to me about life! I have a million ideas, but, they all point to certain death. I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:23 am

You're as old as the woman you feel - ooer. Actually age is something that really bugs me. I'm almost 63 and looking for my wood (ooer again!) I can't get away from the thought that in reality I will only have so many years to enjoy it. Ok no-one knows how long they are gonna live but statistically you've got more potential years at 40 than you have at 60. On the other hand - as far as we know we only have one life. Reincarnation or not, we only have this one once so if there's something you really want to do (and I really do want my on wood(land) then if it's possibile to do it - then go for it. If I only get 5 years out of it, it will be five very enjoyable ones I reckon. If I get to 80 and still going strong in my wood then I can look back and think it was the right thing to do.

I took early retirement at 57 instead of the planned 60 because the stress of my job was making me ill. I ran the tape forward in time and did a "what if" mental exercise to come to my decision. What if I get to 60 and find I have terminal cancer? Well I would definitely retire at 57 and try make the most of my last years. What if I take early retirement and get to 60 and am still OK. Well then I got an extra 3 years retirement as a bonus, Win-win. So my philosophy now is if you want to do it and you're not hurting anyone else - then do it.
smojo

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:20 pm

45 here, got my plot 4 years ago - although a patch of meadow with a recently planted heritage orchard and a few mature hedge trees and coppice corners.

I had the good fortune to get involved with an independent conservation group buying their first 30 acre woodland plot not far away 25 years ago.

Mulling over health and early retirement potential at the moment - I put off buying woodland for myself several years ago to get personal affairs sorted and simple and mortgage / debt free. Plus and minus points to various approaches, but nice to see the community plot started over 20 years ago on a clear-felled site getting somewhere to its intended state within a lifetime...
Meadowcopse

Postby davetb » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:46 pm

I'm 48 and we've owned the woods for about 5 years.
davetb

Postby ballibeg » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Bought mine aged 32.

Dave
ballibeg

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:14 pm

It wasn't a wood, but I ran a thriving market garden business from a piece of land starting from when I was 8 years old. I started growing house plants like Coleuses from seed in yoghurt pots on the lounge windowsill. Liking them, I decided to grow Radishes in the back garden. My mother gave me 6d for a bunch, as that's how much she would have paid for them down the village, from the old dear who had a veg stall run from a tin shelter by the bus stop. I promptly cycled the 2 1/2 miles down to the village, loaded with radishes to strike an exclusive supply deal. Hello, old vegetable selling crone, I quipped, I see you sell Radishes for 6d. I grow radishes, would you like to buy some of mine? Show me, she said. Ooh, very nice and fresh, I'll take two dozen bunches a week and give you 3d a bunch. Hence I was able to boost my income from a shilling pocket money to seven shillings a week. My brother, who was older and received a florin a week found himself financially outclassed. Can I have some land to grow Radishes, he asked Mother. No, Peter, I think one Radish Baron in the family is enough.

This early venture into capitalism proved useful training, by the time I was 16 I had a recycling business selling scrap metal I had salvaged, which was enough to acquire and run a motorcycle. By the time I was 26, I had progressed to running a Whiskey company. I think though in the boardroom I always yurned for those simple old days of washing and trimming my 'French Breakfast' and 'Scarlet Globes'.
oldclaypaws

Postby jennysmate » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:22 pm

Theres the nub of your first chapter oldclaypaws. ;)
jennysmate

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge Room