Small Woodland Owners' Group

A Cunning Plan

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

A Cunning Plan

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:45 pm

I've been 'away' for a while, but am now back in the thick of it and launching myself into the wood with zeal.

A year ago I started a bit of a debate when I asked how to remove big trees in a low impact way, as I wrestled with what to do with my overgrown semi ancient copse. Just to recap, I've 150 mature Oaks (mostly planted c.1880) on my little 5+ acres, with an overstood Hazel understorey and a good few AWI indicators struggling for light under a quite dark high canopy. I've spent about 16 months getting to know the wood, putting in access and parking, hedging, a bit of thinning and coppicing, clearing paths, and taking lots and lots of advice from visiting experts including local wildlife reps, tree surgeons, wood associations, and an excellent paid consultant, Ollie Frost. I've also worked my way through Oliver Rackham, Chris Starr, Ben Law, FC Guides and various Coppicing and Craft books, as well as visiting numerous woodland events. The result of this is finally a 'cunning plan', which will take maybe 5 years or more to take shape.

Having recently given up my retailing venture, I have no shortage of time and look forward to the challenge of rejuvenating the wood. The consensus is that the problem with the wood at the moment is there isn't a mix of tree ages, and there is insufficient light to support a younger generation of new trees to take the place of the oaks when they start to topple over in the next century. Without active management, they'll be replaced by whatever opportunist species can fill the gaps, most likely Sycamore. We assume much of the Ash will disappear. As my consultant said, you have to look at where the wood will be in 50 or 100 years, and try to help it reach a healthier more biodiverse sustainable species mix, equipped for all the possible climate and disease threats that might hit our woods. Having one dominant overcrowded species of the same age is not the best starting point.

So here's the plan; We'll leave all the oaks on the edges as wind shelter. We'll also leave the ones which are clearly occupied by bats, ancient (a couple up to 400 years), and best healthy specimens which will be left as standards and seed bank. A large portion of the rest will be gradually extracted for timber as carefully as possible, to get in more light. I'll try and turn the timber into some sort of finished product myself to maximise value added, using rented mobile sawmills. A character Oak framed building as a toolstore and shelter, with sweet Chestnut Shingle roofing is very much on the cards (planning apparently not an issue); my nextdoor neighbour usefully has experience of constructing them and is offering free labour for firewood. We'll restore the rides, have a couple of decent clearings, replant with a new generation of native 'Noble' Hardwoods (including Cherries, Lime, Wild service, more Oaks, Walnut & others), and as we get more light increase the density of Hazel. It'll be actively coppiced, and should have a good mix of trees, colour, insect and bird life, doormice, bats and others. I intend to switch from using fossil fuel for my pottery kiln to partly using the coppiced wood, using the on-site clay (which supported the local famous potteries for centuries), building a little kiln somewhere in the wood, and on a few weekends having 'kiln openings' where invited persons will be able to come and visit the wood, and leave with a pot or two as a souvenir. I'm also going to trade in my beloved medieval coins and antiquities, and will have an all-embracing website showing my new medieval style pots, the wood, and rare historic pieces to acquire. I reckon the three will sit well together. I should be able to split my time between tending to the wood, making pots, and visiting musuems and auctions to study and acquire knowledge and examples of cultural objects, all pulled together on one website. Its a kind of Ben Law sustainability model, but revolving round coppicing, pottery and a love of history rather than purely woodcrafts.

Should be fun.
oldclaypaws

Re: A Cunning Plan

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:02 pm

welcome back, that was a good read, you just need to add pictures, it's ratty by the way
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:49 pm

Here's a snifter of my medieval pots. The yellow stuff is 24ct gold, and there are Opals, Carnelians and Amethysts floating around there too. They're meant to look as if they've been nicked from a Bishop's Palace. Although I'm a peasant by nature, I can do bling too !! My new ones will incorporate elements from illuminated manuscripts and a lot more rich colours, kind of a cross between the Holy Grail and Bayeux Tapestry.

24ct chalice opals.jpg

24ct lidded jar.jpg

reliquary.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:41 pm

Current dense canopy cover
Canopy.jpg

And a visitor enjoying the new herbaceous growth in a coppiced clearing;

bee.jpg

And a coin from my collection, a penny of Harold Godwinson of Hastings fame. (worth about an acre of decent woodland).

HAROLD-II-1D-Lewes.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby Rankinswood » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:33 am

Hi Old Clay Paws,

"A character Oak framed building as a toolstore and shelter, with sweet Chestnut Shingle roofing is very much on the cards (planning apparently not an issue); my nextdoor neighbour usefully has experience of constructing them and is offering free labour for firewood.

I wonder if you would care to expand on this part of your plan and in particular why undertaking such a project does not give rise to planning issues.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:56 am

Quite simply, I've already checked with the local council planners who have no issues with it. They say if I apply using prior notification I'm entitled to do it under agricultural/forestry planning. Our planners are far more mellow than many others, for example they approved tinkers bubble eco village nearby. I'm on excellent terms with the 2 neighbouring farmers, one cuts my hedges and the other lends me his tractor, they are fully on board with what I propose after the wood has been a source of grief to them in the past- part of it had gypsies on it. The only concerns of the council were that it wasnt within 50 metres of a dual carriageway or a danger to incoming aircraft !! We are talking a modest single room one storey 'cabin', it will have character, but no jacuzzi or games room, and it will principally be a shelter.
oldclaypaws

Postby Jackdaw » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:04 pm

Welcome back OCP, its been a while since I to have had time to visit the SWOG domain.
Enjoy.
Jackdaw

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Cheers Jackdaw.

I noticed that under another Chris's blog on the effects of drought, he said
Given that extreme events (wind, rain, cold, drought etc) seem to be increasing in frequency (as a result of climate change?), it would be as well to ‘build in’ resilience and resource stability by promoting diversity in woodlands and forests.

To that I'd add the challenge of new pests and diseases (which are all too topical), makes planting for 'enrichment' and biodiversity the most foresighted approach to rejuvenating a neglected wood.

I'd ask as part of that what species others are thinking of using if planting for firewood, now that Ash seems a non-starter. Personally I'd say a mix of traditional native coppice species would be the best balance between habitat and sustainable fuel yield- Hazel, sycamore or Maples, hornbeam, goat willow, sessile oak. Maybe fruit trees as well such as Apple, Cherry, Plum- they burn OK and have the blossom and fruit. Sweet Chestnut and Eucalyptus might appeal to some, but have fewer wildlife benefits. Thoughts welcomed.
oldclaypaws

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi oldclaypaws- welcome back.
I'm just contemplating this too.
my wood is mainly conifers but I'm planning to plant some deciduous trees to coppice for firewood and diversity so I'm planning on hazel to start with- if it will grow, and some willow - cuttings from a former hedge in our garden which has grown quick firewood. I'd also like some goat willow.I already have holly and birch which I can coppice/cut. hornbeam supposed to make good firewood and there are some saplings of this too. I've thought about sycamore but it's not common in my area and I'm reluctant to introduce it.
Arbtalk forum has some interesting discussions on this in their woodland management section both planning for coppice and firewood
SitkaSpruce

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Goat (or pussy) Willow is underrated. It grows quick, is fab for wildlife, looks pretty in the spring, and hasn't the moisture content of other willows-its really more of a scrub or woodland pioneer species rather than wetland tree. Coppices well, dead easy to propagate, grows by 6 feet a year and supports lots of moths. As I type I'm looking at our wood burner with goat willow cheerfully blazing away. Holly burns well and gives all year round cover, but is very slow growing. Hazel is excellent, quick growing, the perfect coppice species, great for wildlife and with a huge range of commercial uses- walking sticks, hurdles, thatching spars, etc. Not sure that Birch coppices too well, but very attractive. Hornbeam is good but watch the little tree-rats, one of their favourites for bark snacks. Sycamore is good timber, OK for wildlife, (sweet sap loved by Aphids), coppices well, but a favourite of deer when young. Contrary to opinion that its non-native, newer thinking is that it might have been around for longer than thought and it doesn't seem over-invasive in established mixed woodlands. There are a few might not immediately spring to mind like Rowan and Cherries, and other fruit trees, and oaks if pollarded. Variety methinks.
oldclaypaws

Next

Return to General