Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tyres for muddy conditions

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:19 pm

Our Land Rover Discovery 3 has regular road tyres at present (Pirelli Scorpion Zero) and tends to slip and slide on the tracks in our wood when it\'s wet. We\'re on the South Downs in Hampshire and the surface is clay on chalk. We\'re thinking of some different tyres but as we do use the car on the road as well, we probably don\'t want to go for full mud tyres if possible with what I guess would be an increase in road noise and wear.

Has anyone any similar experience, advice, tyre recommendations?

Simon

SimonFisher

Postby moonwood » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:11 am

b

BF Goodrich all terrain,have used them on various 4x4s,wear well and have good grip,and are fine on road ,would say that they are not noisy,next step up is the B f G Track edge but that is a bit more serious

moonwood

Postby Underwoodsman » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:26 pm

Hello Simon as you know our ford rangers have been all over Hyden woods and we can get most places with the Scorpion A/Ts, which are a standard fit; Goodrich tyres are good but you may not like the price, but most A/Ts would do the job.

You will still find it hard to get over the bank at the botom of the valley without Mud terrains when it is wet but even they will slip there as its mud stait on chalk.

John Westcott

Underwoodsman

Postby Richards » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:39 pm

A mate of mine fitted Coopers on his Dicovery 3 and he seems pleased with them although they are more noisy than the BFG A/T that I used to have, or Generals (an almost exact copy of the BFG A/T) that I now have, on my pick-up.

Coopers about 30% cheaper than BFG, Generals about 20% cheaper.

Richards

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:46 am

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

We went for a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATR which have been fitted since September 2008 and are very happy with them.

SimonFisher

Return to General