Small Woodland Owners' Group

Annual Costs

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Ryan » Mon May 25, 2009 9:00 am

Hi Forum

What are your annual costs for your wood (roughly)?

Just making sure I have done all my sums and haven't missed anything out.

Enjoy you bank holiday Monday!

Ryan

Postby tracy » Mon May 25, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi Ryan, I don't think there are any fixed costs. Many people chose to take out third party insurance (£100 ish pa), but you don't have to. Woodland looks after itself, and providing you don't have any dangerous trees that need dealing with, you don't have to spend any money.

However, if you do wish to do some work, a bow saw and loppers would do - or upgrade to a chainsaw, in which case you will need saw, PPE, preferably training etc.

The wonderful thing about woodland is that once you buy it, if you can't afford to do much initially, you don't need to, and a lot of improvements can be made by hand and by you and friends.

Nice and cheap!

tracy

Postby Ryan » Mon May 25, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks Tracy, that is what I thought but I was looking for the hidden costs, of which I can't find too many. When I talk about costs, I'm talking about fixed costs, such as council tax on a property. But as of yet I am struggling to find any!

Nice and cheap is good for me!

Ryan

Postby James M » Mon May 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Liek any hobby, there are no fixed costs, but the more you want to do the more it costs you.

Just spent £95 quid on digger hire on Saturday,

A day chainsawing costs £10 fuel and £10 chain oil (if you use cheap oil, £20-£20 if you don't)

and probably a new chain £25.

Looking £1k+ costs for storage shed.

£30 petrol per visit inc. generator fuel.

£10-£15 food and beer per visit (£30 if you whole family come)

You could work out monthly average on-cost for wear and tear on car, generator, other gear etc. Plus I find I'm always buy odd and sods, nails, new hammers, screws.

I find I forget about a lot of things - £100 for a towbar for example, high powered torch, gas bottle, trolleys, winches, wheelbarrows, pickaxe, splitter.

I think a typical trip with a bit of tree work and overnight stay costs me about £40 and I'm there 2 -3 times a month but I don't tot it all up. I don't know how much I have spent on 'set-up' gear. Must be close to a thousand.

At least I'll save some money on Newcastle United season ticket next year :-(

James M

Return to General