Small Woodland Owners' Group

Woodland ponds

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Exeldama » Fri May 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Does anyone know of any useful places for imfo.

The million ponds project is ok but not woodland specific, though i hear they are planning some guidance notes in time.

Has anyone on here started one from scratch.?

I dont want to use any liners, and i want to dig it by hand, but think it will be too much..

the wood is loam overlying clay so should be ok, but how big, deep, etc.... just interested in peoples thoughts.

Exeldama

Postby Stephen1 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:21 pm

Awake late into the night with a teething 10 month old...

We dug a pond on a friends land a couple of years ago, the soil was similar to what you describe for yours. We found the sort of hand held petrol driven compactor that people use for tarmac was brilliant for puddling and compressing the surface (hired from HSS) - we had no problem with leaks and has been fine since - although obviously two years is early days!

I suggest before you decide on size, shape, level of shade etc. you think about what sorts of pond life you would most like to favour. Typically with woodland ponds large shallow areas are valuable - these areas can warm up relatively quickly particularly important if the site is very shaded by over hanging trees. Bigger is typically better but it's a law of diminishing returns. Shapewise aim to have an irregular shape with lots of edge.

In most situations ponds will be more valuable for a greater variety of wildlife if they are not stocked with fish - but of course there are exceptions!

Woodland ponds aren't really something I've done much work with - but if you have any specific questions I know someone whose research involves them that I could pass your question on to.

Stephen1

Postby tracy » Tue May 26, 2009 3:14 pm

BTCV have a great book on ponds which you can read online.

http://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handbooks/content/chapter/386

Bear in mind, this is not about woodland ponds, which tend to be darker places!

Things to consider:

1. Are you allowed to put in a pond? I am not sure, you may need permission. I know that ponds are promoted as good things....

2. Insurance, I heard a rumour about woodland insurance and ponds, someone else might be able to shed light on this one

3. I would also keep it shallow, or at least have a shallow end - don't want any hedgehogs or other creatures drowning in it!

Mike and I have a muddy puddle. No longer called a pond! We found a spring, which was very exciting and dug out some mud, and put in some logs to make a mini dam. The boar think it is amazing and it is no longer very neat! We have a lot of green stuff growing on it now too which we like a lot. I love it, although others may wonder why ;-)

tracy

Return to General