Small Woodland Owners' Group

Chainsaw confusion

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Exeldama » Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 am

Wow how many are there.?

I have done my research but have been left even more confused. I will be making fallen trees safe , coppicing, trimming etc but would like some flexibility as i do have a budget.

Are second hand saws worth considering.?

What size blade?

Which make...currently seems Stihl and husqvarna, but are you just paying for the name,is there really much difference.

I have used saws since a child (oops) but never payed too much attention to their reliability etc as they were someone elses...Mcculoch seems to be generally despised along with Poulon.Dolmar and echo sound ok brands as does jonsered....maybe i need an industrious beaver or two.

Cost...Hmmm if anyone knows of someone selling a decent one that wont let me down or where i can look other than E-bay and dealers, friday ad etc that would be good. Oh and a brush cutter, or perhaps i should be keeping fit with an old fashioned Scythe.....

questions questions.... thank you much. Chris.

Exeldama

Postby RichardKing » Sat May 16, 2009 9:31 am

Well if you look at a previous posting I did on "chainsaw history" you will see that there are hundreds of brands. (& manufacturers)

What are you going to be using it for ? Size of trees ? How much will you be using it ?

Personally I would only buy Stihl or Husqvarna.

If other (cheaper) makes need repair you have difficulty finding a workshop that takes them.

I have seen petrol chainsaws advertised for less than £100-, but if it breaks down you will pay £30- an hour + parts + VAT to have it fixed.

I have a Husqvarna 340 & a Stihl MS260, with experience I would have purchased something slightly more powerful than the Stihl MS260, but it would probably have been a Husqvarna.

Dont know about secondhand, any guarantee ?

Dont forget SAFETY, hardhat/ear defenders/visor, trousers, boots, gloves & you should consider a course.

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Sat May 16, 2009 10:41 am

When you do your chainsaw course (get the strong hint?) you should be able to try out different saws and see which ones you like. I have a husky 346 XP. Mike bought it for himself, then after I did a course, I got it and he bought a larger one to use with a sawmill.

I think it is excellent. Runs well, starts easy. Looks cool ;-)

There is a little more information on saws here:

http://www.swog.org.uk/forum/topic.php?id=7

and remember, apparently it is trees that kill people more than saws. Courses make a huge difference to your safety! Take care.

tracy

Postby John H » Sat May 16, 2009 11:35 am

I buy saws on Ebay, havn't had a dud yet. I just look for ones that have been privatley owned and only used in someones garden. Husky xp or Stihl. The Huskys tend to make more money, expect to pay about £230 for a £400 to £500 saw.It helps if you can do you own basic repairs.

Make sure you don't cut anything too stingy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ian-GvsKksQ&feature=player_embedded

Hope the link works

John

John H

Postby John H » Sat May 16, 2009 11:36 am

That should have read "stringy"

John H

Postby Exeldama » Sat May 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Thank you everyone... thinking hard.

Exeldama

Postby RichardKing » Sun May 17, 2009 6:15 am

On a related subject, that Arbtalk forum reports Husky & Stihl prices shortly to go up about 9%

RichardKing

Postby cagsley » Mon May 18, 2009 1:26 pm

I have a large husqvarna for the big stuff but tested loads for our second saw(the wifes!) We needed good power with light weight and ended up with an echo. It is a great saw and they offer a 5 year guarantee for domestic use! Apparently the third best selling and definately reliable. I have also used Partner, jonsered and ryobi and wouldn't recommend any of them for the type of use needed in a woodland. My brother in law recently got a Small Stihl ms180 and this also is a great little saw but I cannot testify to reliability as yet where both of mine with regular care have been brilliant.

Craig

cagsley

Postby The Barrowers » Mon May 18, 2009 3:58 pm

Question

Who do the professionals use Ryobi/McCullock? I rest my case

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby RichardKing » Mon May 18, 2009 5:39 pm

Husqvarna owns McCulloch, along with Poulan & Partner and they are simply the low end of their brands.

RichardKing

Next

Return to General