Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tree plotting

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Tree plotting

Postby harveycowe » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:38 pm

I've got a measuring wheel, compass and a big sheet of paper intending to plot all of the oak trees within our woodland. But then I began to think, "I bet there is software available to do this already. Any advice appreciated.
harveycowe

Re: Tree plotting

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:53 am

Been there with all the paper, trundle wheel and measuring tapes even bought tree tags with numbers. All this was 3 years ago and still not got round to it. To busy doing nothing. People have talked about GPSing (if that word exists) the Trees and plotting them but that lost me as I don't have a GPS. All I know so far is that I have a fair number of oaks of various sizes, Even have some in pots at home waiting for me to find a space. Will be interested to know how you set about it.
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Re: Tree plotting

Postby SitkaSpruce » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:16 pm

To plot the spruce trees in my wood. I made an outline of the wood and then drew vertical lines on it 10m apart. I used a tape measure to measure across to each 10m imaginary line in the wood and then walked each line, marking the trees on my plan. Mind I'm measuring across a nearly square 4 acre wood and there are only 20 spruces as it turned out. I'm sure it can be done with GPS but they don't work well in dense trees!
SitkaSpruce

Return to General