Small Woodland Owners' Group

VEIWED A WOOD.

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

VEIWED A WOOD.

Postby Mike k » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:28 am

Hello,

I have now done more than think about purchasing a small woodland; i veiwed a wood but don't know what i was looking at...typical newbie.

This is what i found:
The ground was very wet with lots of green moss type foliage on the floor and at the base of some of the trees.
Most of the tree bark was rotten and falling off, the ground was full of old trees and rotted trunks. (not the type you wear)
Further evidence of fallen trees cought by others above head height.
Lots of very thin new growth (i asume saplins of some kind).
The bushes and undergrowth though bare were in so much abundance it was imposible to pass without having to force your way through.
There was no evedence of a track but a small clearing was found (about 8' square) with a single primrose plant and a young holly tree.
The largest tree i could find was no larger than 12" in diameter and these were scarce with the majority of trunks that wern't rotten around 6 to 8" in diameter.
I lost my footing and slipped, grabbed the nearest tree; it crumbled like paper with the remainder falling to the ground via my face.
The reminance of one tree (around 12" diameter and say 7' tall crumbled to dust as i lightly pushed it).

Would you pay over £50,000 for around 7 acres knowing the above information?

Thank you for any opinion posted in reply.
Mike k

Re: VEIWED A WOOD.

Postby nursejim » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:50 pm

Hi Mike,

do you have any maps, photos etc? Is the wood advertised on a website I could gain more info from?

Its quite impossible to offer an opinion with the info you have provided.

How large is the wood? What surrounds it?, what trees are growing? Any water on site?

Good luck

Jim
nursejim

Postby Dave and Verity » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:07 pm

From what you describe, personally I wouldn't. As said above though it's not a lot to go on. Depending on your location 7 acres is pretty cheap at that price, generally there will be a reason. We looked at a cheap very wet piece of woodland earlier in the year and decided against in the end, the trees were however solid and there were plenty of them. We reasoned that there would be no pleasure in ownership and getting firewood off would be such a pain due to the boggy conditions it just wasn't worth it. If I were 10 years younger, the decision may have been different. The selling agents really couldn't be bothered either which didn't help, not Woodlands, I hasten to add.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby Mike k » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:18 pm

Thank you for your replies,

This is the woodland though the pictures are from a different season, i know there has been a lot of rain this year maybe this is the why the ground is still boggy.

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/buying-a-woo ... -ash-wood/

Went back today and noticed there were motorcyclists riding up and down on their scranble bikes in a feild close by,

Should i be looking at getting some kind of wood survey?

I havn't got a clue what im doing...lol.
Mike k

Postby Binz » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:16 pm

looking at the google photo there's a housing estate quite close. If you are happy to share your wood with walkers and mountain bikers that's fine, if you want privacy look somewhere else. Our wood has a public footpath but we only occasionally see anyone on it as the woods don't back onto a lot of houses; it's generally ramblers group or DofE.

The important thing is you have taken the 1st step and now have something to compare other woods to.

Good luck with the search.
Binz

Postby Mike k » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:04 pm

Binz wrote:looking at the google photo there's a housing estate quite close. If you are happy to share your wood with walkers and mountain bikers that's fine, if you want privacy look somewhere else. Our wood has a public footpath but we only occasionally see anyone on it as the woods don't back onto a lot of houses; it's generally ramblers group or Dof

The important thing is you have taken the 1st step and now have something to compare other woods to.

Good luck with the search.

I see your point but its all about location to home and price. At the moment the woods are part of M.O.D land.
Mike k

Postby smudge » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:39 pm

Good luck with your search mike but don't rush in,first thing I done was to make a list of must haves mine was 1,the budget 2, must be within 10 miles 3 no public access,the rest not to important you will never get everything you want,i was dead jammy finding mine as was only advertised in local farm shop which I hardly ever go in, had the 3 things I wanted & a bonus of 2 streams quite steep but you cant have everything had mine 2 years now best thing ive ever done cleared some brambles the week end will sow lots of wildflowers now,good luck you wont regret it!!!!
smudge

Postby Mike k » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:04 pm

Im not exactly spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing a woodland.
The wood i llooked at is 25 miles away and at a reasonable price considering location.
Thats one of the closest i have found.

I noticed in the covenant ...no signs allowed.
SO....
How do you let the public know the land is private Property?
Mike k

Postby Wendelspanswick » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:21 pm

That's advertising signs rather than informative signs.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Mike k » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:01 pm

Wendelspanswick wrote:That's advertising signs rather than informative signs.

Ok thank you.

I'll be able to post signs saying private property then.

Twice i have looked at this land and on both occassions there have been people on motocycle scramblers in the farmers feild close by. On one occasion the farmer was on his tracctor in the same field yet the covernant for the wood say must not cause nuisence noise to neighbour.
Mike k

Next

Return to General