Small Woodland Owners' Group

Woodland Grants - What a Hassle!

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Woodland Grants - What a Hassle!

Postby ncrawshaw » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:49 pm

I was pleased to see the re-introduction of Woodland Grants and thought I'd apply for a grant to produce a Woodland Management Plan, can't sniff at £1,000. To apply for a grant you need an SBI (Single business Identifier), CRN (Customer Registration Number) and for the land to be registered on the Rural Land Register. I phoned the Rural Payments Agency to apply for an SBI. Currently they are changing from the "old" system to the "new" system and no new applications are being processed for "several" weeks until the change over is complete! So, I thought I'd get the ball rolling by at least applying for a CRN online. To do this you need to verify your existence with a Credit Reference Agency. I fell down here because I don't have any credit agreements and they couldn't "verify" me. Now, I thought maybe at least I could register the land; I phoned the appropriate department and they immediately asked me for my.........SBI! They can't do anything without it. I'm reasonably computer literate and competent at form filling - how on earth do small farmers who spend their life in the fields, and are possibly less able in the office, possibly cope with all the bureaucracy? Its really opened my eyes and I've barely started.
ncrawshaw

Re: Woodland Grants - What a Hassle!

Postby Dave and Verity » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:07 am

Just reading about the process in the SWOG newsletter was enough to put me off. Don't think I'm gonna be here long enough to waste time like that.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby timandsq » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:25 am

I've looked at the new deal in some detail now and really don't think it's worth it probably unless you are re-planting pretty large areas. Also the current time frames are very tight. What I have found useful is actually drafting up the FC Small Woodland Management Plan initially for my own use but ready if I ever need it or want to use it officially. Cheers Tim
timandsq

Postby ncrawshaw » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:42 pm

I think £1,000 for a Woodland Management Plan isn't bad............if they agree to give it to you. Its the hassle with the RPA that annoying, especially as there are time constraints.
ncrawshaw

Postby Meadowcopse » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:44 pm

As mentioned elsewhere, without going through the seemingly 'circular' admin application process, moving forward with registration can seem a pain at first.

An area I find bizarre is the devolution of admin either side of the English / Welsh border.
my two plots are almost visible from each other, but spanning two countries means I have twice the admin and registry bodies to deal with.

More positively:
The Sylva Foundation 'myForest' free plan template is quite handy and overlaps with the Forestry Commission requirements http://sylva.org.uk/myforest/woodlandmanagement
Meadowcopse

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:09 am

ncrawshaw wrote:... I phoned the Rural Payments Agency to apply for an SBI. Currently they are changing from the "old" system to the "new" system and no new applications are being processed for "several" weeks until the change over is complete! ...

Changes at the Rural Payments Agency were the subject of this morning's Farming Today on Radio 4 - listen to it via http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b054t0kn (available for 28 days).
SimonFisher

Return to General