Small Woodland Owners' Group

Recognise this stove?

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby greyman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:55 am

You laughin' at me Steve? I might sulk you know ;~). It had been a few years since I last heard the term Braai - my sister lives in Sud Afrika so that's where I's heard it before. As for the size of the 'Barbie' Tom Waits talks about 'box spring hogs' which is supposed to be the sring frame inside an old matress with a whole hog carcass on it. Mnnnn small that cracklin'

greyman

Postby tracy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:17 am

No one does it like the boere eh?

Greyman you are doing very well, keep up the lekker work!

tracy

Postby greyman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:56 pm

I'm a polyglot me!

So, back at the thread - What've people found they can get away with fuel-wise? These things are marketed as 'barbies' to run on charcoal but if you look inside ours it has a second set of lugs in the lower section that the top fire grate can sit in. I guess this would increase what you can run them on to include small lumps of wood. I noticed Tracy and Mike were setting the fire in the very bottom of theirs.

greyman

Postby greyman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:38 pm

Recently had some junk mail stuck through the letter box with the evening paper. Lo and behold there was a picture of one of these cast iron pot belly barbies being advertised as made by Landmann.Follow the address below to get to the page and scroll down. There are two sizes.

http://www.landmann.co.uk/catalogue.asp?CategoryID=1&SubCategoryID=2

Not that we're having the weather for this but they can be used in the winter for heating up yer squggel stew!

Greyman

greyman

Postby jillybean » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Hello Simon i think that to return to your original thread that is the original Hibachi. i too have a rusty one in my wood, and see them on the beach too. the legs always snap off when someone drops them. I use the son of hibachi, a hi tech self heating whizz bang gadget, but think that there is only one Hibachi,and you have it, and it will go down as a classic in the history books.

jillybean

Postby RichardKing » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:21 am

According to Wikipedia, hibachi is simply "fire bowl" in Japanese.

Apparently originated in China as braziers to heat the homes of the nobility.

The "original" hibachi" were carved out of Cypress wood & lined with clay.

RichardKing

Previous

Return to General