Small Woodland Owners' Group

Recognise this stove?

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:34 am

Does anyone recognise this stove?

picture 1

picture 2

I found it in our wood, left by the previous owners. My first thoughts were that it was not much more than a heap of rust having been left to the elements for too long, but it's actually quite sound and we've been using it quite successfully for warmth and cooking.

It has a sliding door underneath, I assume to let the ash out. I use the lower sliding door to control air-flow and I guess the upper one can be used to put more fuel in.

Has anyone seen anything like it? Any idea how old it might be, where it came from, can you still get them?

Simon

SimonFisher

Postby RichardKing » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:53 am

Looks like a modern pot bellied barbeque stove, seen them around, made in China.

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:22 am

We have one of those - they are really great and very effective. We tried to buy newer ones and they were no where near as good as the old one. All the slidey doors mean you can control the air flow very carefully and get the right amount of heat.

You can kind of see ours in the picture below, of us making jam!

http://peplers.blogspot.com/2008/08/bank-holiday-weekend-sunday.html

Enjoy it!

tracy

Postby greyman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:45 pm

We've got one too - Tracy will be enjoying her meal from one when she comes to visit!!! The only problem we have had with ours was when we first go it the little stepped brackets for the griddle - the ones around the very top - one of them snapped as they're cast iron and I don't have any cast iron welding rods so haven't been able to mend it. I think they call them a 'briar' in South Africa don't they? Perhaps I'm being too 'clever' by half!

LOL

Greyman

greyman

Postby Darren » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:45 pm

I've just been looking at those from Tesco online and it has a adjustable air vent http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-1559.aspx

Darren

Postby tracy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:20 pm

Darren, those ones on Tesco might work ok, but as I said earlier, we found the modern ones not so good. They only have one air bit, and not very big in the middle for fuel. ..

A Brair? I think you mean braai, Greyman, but good try! A real braai though is half an oil drum filled with wood and a whole animal! lol. Is that what we are expecting for lunch ;-)

If you want to learn braai etiquette, watch this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2SOmwzjUU

lol

tracy

Postby Darren » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:40 pm

I like the braai etiquette. Funny thing is when I'm making the charcoal that also takes a few beers.

Darren

Postby greyman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:58 pm

Lekker! LOL!!! Maybe something to try in a wood near you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkuG_RTS15I&feature=related

greyman

Postby steve rollnick » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:23 am

Oh my word Greyman, that palm tree video had our family in stitches, and your use oif the word "briar" for "braai".

Like Tracey, I am from South Africa, an Ape from the Cape..... and its wonderful to see her being such an expert in this ridiculous all-male preserve. The braai machine from heaven is one my brother has in his garden in Nairobi. I'll get a photo and post it up here.

I would never trust that thing from Tesco. Like all braais Ive seen in this country, it will fall apart, surely? It would be great if someone can find a really good, strong thing somewhere.

I got so desperate that I asked Ed from Parp industry ([email protected]) to make me a large fire bowl on legs...... he would be delighted if anyone contacted him. He specializes in making stoves for Yurts etc, and works in Devon. I take delivery of this from him soon, and I'll see how it goes as a braai.... I am not that keen on bending down too far, so that's the only problem I can anticipate. Otherwise we'll just use it as a firebowl to sit around.....

Steve

steve rollnick

Postby RichardKing » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:16 am

Deeply unimpressed by the bits of bent tin that pass for barbeques around here.

Real ones are made in the Sahara. Welders would fabricate them from 16inch or even 20inch steel casing (tube) cut lengthways, with chimney, folding hinged lid, steel walkway grating for the grid, legs with wheels, plus of course adjustable vents. Could be used open or closed for smokin. Real quality items.

Reassuring to know that every time you fill your fuel tank you are helping to ensure that rig workers get a decent barbeque.

RichardKing

Next

Return to General