Small Woodland Owners' Group

Planning Permission for a shed within small woodland

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Planning Permission for a shed within small woodland

Postby Mike k » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:16 am

Hello,
I find this all very interesting but frustrating.
Purchasing a small woodland and putting it to some kind of personal use seems to be bogged down with rules and regs. Where does the fun cone into it?
I would very much like to own a small woodland, enjoy some peice n quiet camp or use a caravan some weekends in the summer with a few members of my family.
The idea of learning how to make woodland/green furniture from my own trees on my own land for personal use apeals to me very much but all these rules and regulations make things stressful.

Is there nothing in this land that is not covered by some kind of law or interference from the government.

We are governed to death literaly.

Mike.

PS...and yes im no good at spelling.
Mike k

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:50 pm

Mike k wrote:Purchasing a small woodland and putting it to some kind of personal use seems to be bogged down with rules and regs. Where does the fun cone into it? I would very much like to own a small woodland, enjoy some peice n quiet camp or use a caravan some weekends in the summer with a few members of my family. The idea of learning how to make woodland/green furniture from my own trees on my own land for personal use apeals to me very much but all these rules and regulations make things stressful.

I don't see you'll have any problems doing what you describe. Most of the planning issues that are talked about on the forum are where owners are looking to erect a workshop, storage facility or buildings to support a commercial forestry or other operation. Some will perhaps be wanting to try and get away with some sort of cabin that they can sleep in and perhaps trying to justify it as needed to support some other woodland activity. Many might actually have a cabin of some sort but just do it and try and stay under-the-radar of the local planning authority. Even if the local authority find out you've done something they don't like, you've not (as far as I know) broken the law until they obtain a court order which you then breach.

There are lots of people who buy woodland with a desire to use it much as you describe and are able to do so without any problems of rules and regs.
SimonFisher

Postby nursejim » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:00 pm

I've recently been given permission to site 2 x 20 foot shipping containers in my woodland. I had them craned into place over the winter and they are fab....completely transformed my woodland experience. It is possible if you work with the planners and provide them with the info they require and a sound rationale. :roll:
nursejim

Postby Mike k » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:10 pm

nursejim wrote:I've recently been given permission to site 2 x 20 foot shipping containers in my woodland. I had them craned into place over the winter and they are fab....completely transformed my woodland experience. It is possible if you work with the planners and provide them with the info they require and a sound rationale. :roll:

I
Interesting.
Does it matter how much woodland you have for one of those?
Mike k

Postby nursejim » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi, yes in my particular case the planning authority deemed my application appropriate for the managment if 15 acres of woodland.
nursejim

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:24 am

nursejim wrote:I've recently been given permission to site 2 x 20 foot shipping containers in my woodland.

Mike k wrote:Interesting. Does it matter how much woodland you have for one of those?

Mike,

There's no specific rule (legislation or guidance) that says if you have a woodland of size bigger than X you can have a container/lockup/shed/workshop, and if it's smaller you can't. What it will come down to is you presenting to the local planning authority your need to have a building to support the operation you intend carrying out, probably backed up with a management plan for the wood and having the planning authority agree that it's reasonable. The size of the wood might be a factor that affects that.

Some owners will choose not to engage with the planning authority, will place their shed or caravan anyway, and hope to stay under the radar of the local authority.
SimonFisher

Postby nursejim » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:52 am

Quite correct there is no formal legislation regarding size of woodland versus size of shed/storage. However, I standby my recommendation to work with the planning authorities. A sound rationale will help you achieve your aims and reassure the authorities you are genuine in your pursuits. A planning officer in the neighbouring Local Authority who is a friend of mine told me that departments are employing satellite imaging tools such as Google Earth to observe private Woodlands and the structures therein. So flying under the radar may not always be possible.

But you pays your money and you takes your choice.
nursejim

Postby SitkaSpruce » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:27 am

Mike k. Yes there's lots of rules but many won't bother you necessarily. I haven't got a shelter built of any sort but it hasn't stopped me working and sitting in my wood and recently making charcoal in the wood. There's lots of suggestions here of how to proceed if you do need/ want a shelter. Some of my woodland neighbours have gone down that route. The rules are there for a reason after all, they stop your woodland neighbour from building a house and spoiling your peace and quiet!
SitkaSpruce

Previous

Return to General