Small Woodland Owners' Group

Planning Permission for a shed within small woodland

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Planning Permission for a shed within small woodland

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:47 pm

paulolding wrote: because to tell you the truth, life is too short for this amount of hassle, when all I want to do is enjoy my wood, engage in a forestry commission authorized management plan and create some salable wood products.

Good luck

which is why I stay under the radar, use a caravan, and enjoy my woodland,
you could pick up a 4/6 berth caravan for around £500, totally remove everything from inside and use it the same as a shed, if at any time the "big wigs" wanted you to remove it, there's things you can do to keep them happy
Dexter's Shed

Postby smojo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:40 pm

which is why I stay under the radar, use a caravan, and enjoy my woodland,
you could pick up a 4/6 berth caravan for around £500, totally remove everything from inside and use it the same as a shed, if at any time the "big wigs" wanted you to remove it, there's things you can do to keep them happy

Like what?

I thought you could stay up to 28 nights/year in a caravan but then someone told me it has to be moved off site after that, you can't just leave it there until next year. I'd thought about a caravan but don't want to have to keep moving it. Yeah I know you will probably say who's going to check on you anyway. As you know Dexter I also thought about a pig arc. I'm now thinking about a sort of three sided tree house. That presumably constitutes being just a shelter but I thought I could make some sort of pull down blind or hidden removable doors for when I want to sleep in it. Being raised up would give that bit more protection from small animals, slugs and anyone up to no good. You could pull the ladder up at night.
smojo

Postby Rankinswood » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:16 am

Hi Smojo,

Like this Tree House ?

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby smojo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:49 am

Yeah fantastic. If you Google images of tree houses there are some amazing ones. Just reading a book called The Tree House Diaries. A young man decides to try to live more or less off grid for 6 months in a tree house. His diary tells how he got materials and built it. Quite inspiring. My problem is that my wood is 50+ miles from home and so visits are on average only about every ten days and I'm pretty much on my own with it. I have to keep reminding myself that I need to keep my plans simple and achievable in the time I have available. So maybe I need to be more realistic and drop the idea of the tree house and just go back to the idea of a simple shelter for now. I have so many things I want to do but time just doesn't permit it.
smojo

Postby Dave and Verity » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:44 am

That is a thing of beauty.

We take our motorhome with us, we can live off the batteries for about 4 days. The two of us can shower, shave (me only), and survive quite comfortably on the built in 100 litre water tank. We do tend to drink more wine than water obviously. If we want to stay longer we take 20ltr water bottles and a suitcase generator which runs for about an hour in every twenty four.

A job for us over the summer is to put something down as we got stuck in a boggy patch during the winter and had to tow it out.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby vushtrri » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:00 pm

Been watching this thread with interest whilst my Prior Notification to place a storage container on my 6 1/2 acres is dealt with. I can only say that I have come to the conclusion that they are a strange breed. I hope they are satisfied with my answers to their third email in two days... But I am not too hopeful!

That aside, the wood has without doubt taken over our lives...for the better, it's just a pity weekdays and work gets in the way! The missus is always on at me to retire full time so we can spend more time there.
vushtrri

Postby smojo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:31 am

I can recommend retirement. Life's too short so if you can manage financially, do it. You don't know what life has waiting for you around the corner. You'll find you can get by on less money too. Unfortunately my wood is too far away to go more than once a week or ten days but if it was close I'd be there every other day. Can't get enough of it.
smojo

Postby vushtrri » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:06 pm

I think I shall also email them asking to add to my app that I am 6'4" and need the container to make and store my coffin prior to burial in the wood!
vushtrri

Postby Jackdaw » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:20 pm

" Unfortunately my wood is too far away to go more than once a week or ten days but if it was close I'd be there every other day ".

Really feel for you guys who are long distances away from your sanctuaries, being 3 miles away means its a 5 min drive for me. Problem is, it does tends to turn me into a bit of a fair weather woodland owner, unless I've run out of firewood that is !!
Jackdaw

Postby smudge » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:03 pm

Agree with smojo people I know wish they retired earlier you only got 1 life im lucky money wise im sorted so am going at 60 (next year) woods only 4 miles away so will cycle when possible have just bought a nice wood lathe drawknife & other wood tools plan to make handles for all the tools I have that are broke quite a few have sentimental value most of my wood is ash so not short of materials will also make some hazel fencing as well (cant wait)
smudge

PreviousNext

Return to General