Small Woodland Owners' Group

Planning Permission for a shed within small woodland

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Planning Permission for a shed within small woodland

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:29 pm

Wendelspanswick wrote:As I understand it:
Permitted Development = What you are allowed to do on your land without any involvement of the planning authority.
Prior Notification = What you are allowed to do on your land so long as you meet certain criteria and it requires you to check with the council that you meet that criteria.

A quick search for prior notification and a read of many of the local authority web sites that come up in the results would suggest otherwise, that the two go hand in hand, and that prior notification is the process by which you advise the local authority of work you intend carrying out under the rules of permitted development.
SimonFisher

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:03 pm

SimonFisher wrote:
Wendelspanswick wrote:As I understand it:
Permitted Development = What you are allowed to do on your land without any involvement of the planning authority.
Prior Notification = What you are allowed to do on your land so long as you meet certain criteria and it requires you to check with the council that you meet that criteria.

A quick search for prior notification and a read of many of the local authority web sites that come up in the results would suggest otherwise, that the two go hand in hand, and that prior notification is the process by which you advise the local authority of work you intend carrying out under the rules of permitted development.

Sorry, that's what I was trying to say.
Permitted Development is exactly what it says, development that you are permitted to do without any involvement from the planning department*.

Again Prior Notification is exactly what it says, you are giving the planning department prior notification of your intention to do something on your land and if the planning department disagree with your intentions they have 28 days to object.**

*I say planning department and not council as just because a project is permitted development does not make it exempt from building control.

**The planning department must have legitimate arguments for there objections to your plans.
Last edited by Wendelspanswick on Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:06 pm

Almost right Simon. Having recently talked to the planners to familiarise myself with the process, its fresh in my mind.

The process is called prior notification, exercising your permitted development rights. However the council planning officers are involved and have to approve the application, they don't just automatically rubber stamp it. Unlike a full planning application it comes under less scrutiny, doesn't have to be passed by planning committees and can be approved by a planning officer within 28 days. However it does require a form to be filled in, plans to be submitted and a modest fee paid (£80). You have to submit a plan of the building, stick to it and erect it within a given time frame. They may come out to inspect the site.

In my case I found an informal chat laid the ground for an eventual successful application. Although I knew I was entitled, they still ran me through the standard questions, height of building, proximity of roads. They also asked why I needed it, and I said firstly I was entitled to it and that it was necessary as the wood hadnt been managed for many years and there was extensive work required, needing lots of bulky tools and somewhere to shelter between showers or when taking breaks between work. They were quite satisfied, although I've not submitted a detailed plan yet as I haven't finalised my building design, one of the requirements.

Always best to talk to them and establish what their view is and the procedure, they like to work with people who listen but take a dim view of applications that ignore the rules, as many do.

As I said before, whatever you chose to do in your toolstore and shelter, do not refer to it as a workshop, that isnt allowed, its a commercial manufacturing use, not agricultural. What you actually eventually do there is a different matter.

This is the form for my local area.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/appPDF/R3325Form016_england_en.pdf
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:12 pm

I just had to fill in a short form as you did OCP, but no detailed plans were required, just a site location plan.
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:16 pm

As I'm getting nearer to wanting to put my building up, I decided to talk to the planners today to getting clarification on my desire to have it a bit bigger and to use it for timber storage and seasoning. This time I got the hard nut on the end of the phone. At first when I mentioned timber storage he wasn't very sympathetic and said my desire for security to protect valuable planked oak wasn't grounds to approve a building. I then explained I'd registered the site as a nature reserve and that this was part of the carefully researched plans to thin, rejuvenate and restore the wood with increased biodiversity, a bigger variety of trees, more wildflowers, insects, birds and more vibrant life in it, before eventually signing ownership over to a trust. I said to plank the wood gradually on site and season it in a building there was the best low impact way to avoid damage to the sensitive ecology, and that to do so made good economic use of the material which in turn made the woodland restoration viable and provided a beautiful sustainable resource to local craftsmen. The more orthodox commercial clear felling route would cause major disruption and damage to the woodland wildlife.

He liked that bit, and seeing the building as an essential part of a wider worthwhile project said that now I'd fully explained it and was clearly knowledgeable about the ecology it sounded OK and appropriate. I suggested a building 20ft x 40ft might be adequate and that all my neighbours were happy with my plans. He recommended outlining what I wanted to do and the overall management plan in a couple of paragraphs in an email as a part of a pre-application discussion, and I'd then get allocated a planning officer who will guide me through the rest of the prior notification procedure towards a mutually satisfactory application.

Jaw jaw is better than war war.
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:36 pm

I submitted my application for a 5m by 10m barn/shed and 26 days later got a letter saying the LA had no objections.
I had no communication with the LA apart from this letter.
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:58 pm

My bloke said given all the stuff I wanted to do, 20 x 40 ft sounded quite modest and smaller than he'd expected. He also liked the fact I was proposing to use wood as a building material and use an agricultural supplier for it- that way they know its not permanent or inappropriate or a barn conversion on the sly. He said one concern they always had was that once a building had gone up for agricultural use, over time it could warp into something else.

I joked I had no plans to start a car-breaking business on the sly and it wouldn't have any utilities connected, it would be strictly used for low key forestry activities.

Its good to have a clear plan in your own head that merits what you want to do and not to try to push the boundaries so that it impacts negatively on other people, that's three quarters of the battle. Being a decent person, avoiding conflict and doing something agreeable that people like does make life a lot easier.
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Were you thinking of a building from Brookridge?http://www.blackdownbuildings.co.uk
Wendelspanswick

Postby Lupin Pooter » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:54 pm

Really interested to hear your different approaches to PN. I'm guessing that you have both dealt with the planners at TDBC. We are intending to apply to them for approval to build a modest store/shelter this year. Any advice or contact names would be gratefully received!
Lupin Pooter

Postby wood pixie » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:00 pm

There seems to be a mix up about Prior notification and General Permited Development. It is straight forward , well it should be.
You give prior notification , by filling out the form etc, before you start building whatever you want which has General Permitted Developement rights....such as your shed.
You are entitled to build a shed under General Permited Development as long as you give PriorNotification so that they have 28 days to say No before you start the work.
Your planner is being tot.ally unrealistic. Perhaps it is a personal thing, which seems to be common.
Have you met him in person ?
wood pixie

PreviousNext

Return to General