Small Woodland Owners' Group

Chainsaw Trousers

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Rod Taylor » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:11 pm

Can anyone help with recomending a user friendly make of trousers.

I started with a pair of all round protective,zip-up Sthil over trousers that have worn well but are worse than being in a sauna. At last years Bentley Woodfair I moved on to some high tech breathable SIP trousers that are much more comfortable and cooler to wear. So much so that until the recent rise in temperature I have worn a boilersuit over the trousers (partly because they cost "an arm and a leg"). However after only two days use without the protection of a boilersuit the painful little stiff branches in freshly felled coppice have snagged the outer material in several places and the material starts running like a pair of tights. Needless to say I am not very impressed and would have assumed the material would have been able to cope with brushing through trees. The 'runs' have been stitched over to keep them under control and it's back to wearing a seemingly indestructible cotton boilersuit on top.

Can anyone recomend a make of trousers that won't boil me like a lobster and can take the rough use of pushing around through trees with the seemingly invisible stiff twigs just waiting to poke you.

Rod Taylor

Rod Taylor

Postby tracy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:07 am

We use SIP type A, not as hot as the ones that go all around! Within a day or 2 we have both been used to them and they don't snag - unless you run your saw over them! ;-)

tracy

Postby Darren » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:54 pm

I have a pair of Oregon with the orange stripe down the legs and they are front protection only. I've been wearing them since September and no snags

Darren

Postby The Sawyer » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:31 pm

The new generation stihl ones are good spent the last two years wearing them without two much damage.

ttfn kester

The Sawyer

Postby Rod Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks for the replies. There are a few to look at. The type I had were SIP front protection with back protection around the lower leg only and a woven type soft outer material that doesn't seem up to scrambling about. Will try a complaint at the suppliers and hopefully get a discount on a replacement pair.

Rod Taylor

Postby The Sawyer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi Rod mine have all round protection but are much lighter than the old ones and I spend most of the winter and a good part of the summer in them with little fatigue, they aslo stand up to a lot of abuse although barbed wire is not good

fftn kester

The Sawyer

Return to General