Small Woodland Owners' Group

squirrel control

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: squirrel control

Postby smojo » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:49 pm

Well I don't,t know how it will go but the guy organising it seems to know what he,s doing. We,all have to see how it goes
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:38 pm

Wendelspanswick wrote:Surely the squirrels will just hide in the trees, when my dog chases them they just run up the nearest tree and disappear.
If you ask me you will just end up with a load of lead in your trees!

you do this in winter when there are no leaves on the trees, they can run, but stand little chance of hiding
Dexter's Shed

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:54 pm

We have loads of ancient Beech tree's so when the squirrels leg it up they disappear into the crooks.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:48 pm

this time of year would normally be dray poking, long poles that fit together allowing you to poke the drays whatever height they are, a few guns at the bottom of tree all around waiting for the squirrels to evacuate the nest, then walking in a line to the next nest, to mop up any stragglers
Dexter's Shed

Postby smojo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:20 am

I reckon there are one or two dreys in mine but not sure if still occupied. Do they rest in them at night then - not just a nest for rearing young like birds do?
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:16 am

smojo wrote:I reckon there are one or two dreys in mine but not sure if still occupied. Do they rest in them at night then - not just a nest for rearing young like birds do?

yes, but so do other non target species, such as little owl's, which is why you do the poking, to make sure what your after is in there, see, we ain't all just high on testosterone killers with guns :lol:
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:47 pm

as a few people have shown an interest in carrying out squirrel control, I thought I'd do a short film on the Kania trap, how it works and how it's set, if you find it of use, let me know and I'll do another on the fenn traps and how to set them

http://youtu.be/kDo0mYqvbDU
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dave and Verity » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:23 pm

Not seen those before, that is one helluva spring. Would like to see how you use Fenns, I use them fairly succesfully for Rats but not sure how you would set them up a tree.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:23 pm

this is the type of box that is produced for pest controllers to use, just click on the first picture then "play"
but rather than pay out for these, I prefer a simple box, similar to a bird nest box but with the hole in the lid, and a side access hole for sliding the trap in, they can then be fixed the same as the kania trap,

http://www.greysquirrelcontrol.co.uk/spring-traps.php
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dave and Verity » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:47 pm

Dave and Verity

PreviousNext

Return to General