Small Woodland Owners' Group

squirrel control

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: squirrel control

Postby Dave and Verity » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:58 am

Just a minor point, my views on here make it clear that I have no problem with controlling squirrels. Control is the key word, nobody would look to erradicate them. A. it would not be possible and B. it is not necessary. The problem with the current state of play is that there are very few natural predators to the grey, the main one being the four wheel drive and the other being us. There are simply too many at the moment, my garden is approx. 1.5 acres and I have seen anything up to 8/9 at any one time, when poulation levels are this high, things have become imbalanced. Being surrounded by open countryside and woodland, it wouldn't matter how many I get rid of, they will simply repopulate from the countryside around.

Poisoning for me would be an absolute no - no, for reasons already mentioned and the fact that when cleanly killed they make very good eating.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby boxerman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:25 am

Maybe the answer is for the government to convince the population that squirrel is a delicacy.... then the supermarkets would get in on the act and we'd all be having roast squirrel for Sunday lunch... :D
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:55 pm

As Dexter is a professional pest controller and has considerable experience of squirrel disposal, it would be very timely to have him back please to offer practical advice on the most effective and humane way of despatching them, and where to get the kit from. I believe the best way is to live trap, visit daily when the traps are baited, and then shoot from point blank range. I'd guess shotguns will be more likely to guarantee a result rather than an air rifle pellet, so the whole logistics of this unfortunate business may have to become familiar practice to those of us who so far have been too sensitive to contemplate it. If I can bring myself to take out my very plump cute looking hazel-nut gorged squirrels, I might as well extend the regime to include pheasants, our wood is a refuge for them from a big nearby shoot. They probably end up being had by foxes or run over as they seem pretty thick at the best of times, so rather they go in the pot than get squished by a lorry and eaten by crows. Alternatively, there's an equal chance I'll need post traumatic stress counselling and will go vegan. I am the man who picks parched worms off the pavement and helps them back into the grass, and who gave a drink of sugar water to a dehydrated wasp on the windowsill before releasing it.
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:13 pm

The thought of a little critter shaking and looking up at me pathetically while I stand over it holding a gun is making me feel very uncomfortably odd; I just can't see me personally doing it, although the funding might enable me to pay someone else to. I do know another local experienced shooter who would be available and willing. (Does that make him ambiDexterous?) He can have the DEFRA cash and the karma, I'll have a clear conscience and squirrel free wood. The blackbirds will be happier too, without their chicks being eaten. Difficult dilemma.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dave and Verity » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:20 pm

I'd instantly stand to be corrected by a professional pest controller, but I can assure you that an air rifle pellet will adequately do the job, getting the squirrel to sit still may be an issue though. An air pistol at close to 6ftlbs (most aren't) would also do the job.

Having encountered a few cornered squirrels in the past, I've never seen one shake with fear. Keep your fingers well away from the snarly end.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby smojo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:31 am

The thought of a little critter shaking and looking up at me pathetically while I stand over it holding a gun is making me feel very uncomfortably odd; I just can't see me personally doing it, although the funding might enable me to pay someone else to

Yes me too. Like Boxerman I will pick up tiny insects and transport them to a safer place if endangered simply because I respect their little lives. I once had to put a pet hamster out of its misery when it became ill. I was persuaded that it was stupid to take it to a vet and that the best thing was for me to wring it's neck. I made myself do that for the sake of the poor creature but it was one of the most difficult and upsetting things I have done. I swore I could never willingly take a small life like that again. It might seem hypocritical to some but I don't mind someone else coming in and taking them out but personally I could not do it. It's the same reason that most of you are happy to tuck into a nice steak, bacon sarnie, lamb cutlet or whatever but in no way be able to slaughter the animal. I admire those indigenous people who slaughter their own animals with love and respect, recognising they are taking precious life but need to in order to live. And by the way have no problem with people eating animals that have been killed and prepared for them and bought in supermarkets either. I'm no moral canvasser, mainly I just don't like eating meat or it disagrees with my digestion.
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:18 pm

Dave and Verity wrote:I'd instantly stand to be corrected by a professional pest controller, but I can assure you that an air rifle pellet will adequately do the job, getting the squirrel to sit still may be an issue though. An air pistol at close to 6ftlbs (most aren't) would also do the job.

Having encountered a few cornered squirrels in the past, I've never seen one shake with fear. Keep your fingers well away from the snarly end.

Dave

yes, an air rifle pellet will adequately kill a squirrel,pigeon,rabbit even a pheasant, but it's the person holding it that we need to worry about more, yes there are lots of decent pistols out there that will also do the job, but should the proverbial hit the fan, this is what the law will do you on, as they do not like pistols being used, in pest control a pistol would be great in some situations where we need to crawl into confined spaces to remove a rat or pigeon, but we are not allowed, we have to lug a rifle in with us too.
reason being most people would hold a pistol on an outstretched arm, you get a shakey hand, hold with two hands, it'll still shake, and that could be the difference between one shot clean kill, and multiple shots cruelty to animals.

so, a decent (not chinese copy) rifle every time

the preferred method of dispatching a live caught squirrel(as taught by the British pest control association) is to shake it into a Hessian sack and using a large lump of wood, whack it once, of course once is never enough, the squirrel is twitching from it's nerves, your brain say's "hit it again" just to make sure, your now committing an offence as that's classed as cruelty to animals, aint British law wonderful.

some may remember last year or so, a general was hauled before the courts and done big time for multiple shots to a live caught squirrel, of course had he done that in the garden shed, rather than in full view of his neighbours, it would never have happened

if you have red squirrels in your woods, then live catch traps or shooting are your only options, but remember, with a live catch trap by law you need to provide food and water and a place sheltered from the wind and rain otherwise your committing an offence

so, if you only have greys, then the best action is break back (neck) traps, any trap of this kind, needs by law an artificial tunnel placed over it, to stop non target species entering

kania traps are in my mind the best, they are made purely for squirrel control, but very expensive at around £55 each, I own three and they are secured high up in the trees accessible by my maplins telescopic ladder, they are not used all the time, but do the job 100%

and the link to where to buy them

http://www.sxenv.com/products.aspx?sear ... Kania+2000

if your handy with woodwork, then fenn mk4 traps can be used and these traps work well too, but they need to be placed inside a wooden box(same as a bird nest box) with an entrance hole in the roof, having the hole there serves two purposes, first it stops birds trying to nest inside, as rain would come straight in, and birds know they could get attacked from above, and secondly squirrels are inquisitive, they go straight in head first, springing the trap which then breaks their neck

link to fenn traps
http://www.sxenv.com/products.aspx?sear ... Trap+-+MK4
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dave and Verity » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:41 pm

Good info there. Fenn traps excellent, but mind those fingers, always use the safety catch, snappy little things.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby smojo » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:48 pm

I think my dilemma is going to be solved soon. One of the neighbours is organising a cull. He plans to do a sweep through the woods with a number of other guys with shotguns. He talks about "walking the line" to catch them as they flee. I can feel comfortable with this even though I hate killing things, I value my trees more than the squirrels.
smojo

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:58 pm

Surely the squirrels will just hide in the trees, when my dog chases them they just run up the nearest tree and disappear.
If you ask me you will just end up with a load of lead in your trees!
Wendelspanswick

PreviousNext

Return to General