Small Woodland Owners' Group

squirrel control

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: squirrel control

Postby Rod Taylor » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Visited another wood in Sussex today and numerous Chestnuts were showing heavy damage. Coppiced around 5 years ago and many stems had the bark stripped and left attached and hanging off in lengths up to 4 feet long. Not a type of damage seen in our wood on chestnut, but had seen similar on older Hornbeam.
Interesting how their "tastes" vary on a regional basis.
Rod Taylor

Postby smojo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:58 am

Strange how the target flavour changes each year.

I have read that the bark stripping may be to do with territorial marking. Maybe it's not about taste so much as the location that is important to them.
smojo

Postby Dave and Verity » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:57 am

Agree with the above, theory is it tends to occur the most in overpopulated areas.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:38 am

Apparently the government is about to reveal new grey squirrel control strategies early next year, which are rumoured to possibly legislate for landowners to have to take compulsory measures to cull them. That's a moral minefield. "Thou shalt kill or be punished for not killing?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30241900

Personally, I'd have thought the most effective strategy from a govt point of view would be a bounty. (fee per squirrel head, not the coconut bar).

While accepting the case for control and recognising it would be wonderful to see a widespread return of the red, I would feel uncomfortable with a duty to personally carry out the killing. If a fee was paid to cover the cost of getting someone else to do it and I personally didn't have to pull the trigger, that would be an agreeable compromise. Hence why a bounty system might work.
oldclaypaws

Postby Treeation » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Wow,

Thats an interesting watch. I agree with cull 100%. Oral contraceptives would work well too. Head per fee is the way forward agree with you oldclaypaws, culling wont be everyones cup of tea. Im for pushing forward squirrel meat forward as a great food natural food source and must admit I prefer my reds cooked rare.

No seriously,grey squirrels are great meat for anyone who hasnt tried yet. Wrapped in a few rashers of bacon to keep moisture in and roasted is my preferred way of cooking.
Treeation

Postby boxerman » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:36 pm

grey squirrels are great meat for anyone who hasnt tried yet.

I've only ever eaten it in 'wilderness stew' at an event I do most years and it's not particularly noticeable but a friend who's tried it on it's own reckoned it tasted like wet dog.... :shock: Crayfish isn't bad tho....
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:51 pm

boxerman wrote: Crayfish isn't bad tho....

another favourite of mine, and it's pest control too, another non native

Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:54 pm

Good article here on squirrel meat, the taste and demand for it. Compared to farmed food, it sounds far better, although whatever damage they do I still think they look cute. I reckon we should just live trap them and repatriate them back to the 'States as illegal immigrants. :lol:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/may/11/recipes.foodanddrink
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:41 am

oldclaypaws wrote:I reckon we should just live trap them and repatriate them back to the 'States as illegal immigrants. :lol:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/may/11/recipes.foodanddrink

Yeah along with red signal crayfish, Halloween, Black Friday, Starbucks, McD's, Burger King and there sense of humour ;)
smojo

Postby Rod Taylor » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Recently started seeing Ravens quite often in our wood. Does anyone know if they are partial to a diet of fresh squirrel ?? Certainly seem agile and big enough to break into a squirrel drey if they put their mind to it.
Rod Taylor

PreviousNext

Return to General