Small Woodland Owners' Group

Advice on buying please

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby chrisMM » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:57 am

Found a nice peacefull wood, I can afford 6 acres which will have woodland neighbours on 2 sides, similar sizes, in a total wood sized around 40 acres. Open country to another side, private lane on the other. No public paths/bridleways, we would own sporting and mineral rights.

From wandering round I think 6 acres is big enough to be private and give me plenty to do - our aim is to enjoy the nature, take some firewood and quietly enjoy the wood.

Question: is 6 acres enough for this, will it seem 'busy' with maybe 8 owners in the whole wood? how big is your wood and how does it work for you ?

chrisMM

Postby tracy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:07 pm

I think 6 acres is plenty - don't forget, a wood is 3D!! With 6 acres you can have a real sense of knowing your whole woodland, and caring for all of it. You can make your little camp bit right in the middle and you will get lots of privacy. Its nice that you have open land on either side too, lots of lovely sunlight on the edges of the woodland, great for shrubs and birds.

Hope it works out for you!

tracy

Postby greyman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:21 pm

Hello Chris,

We've got 10 acres and it is has public foorpaths on two sides, there are other owners and we are coppicing our wood in 1/2 acre coupes - this years cut is next to the main footpath through the block of woods ours is a part of. Depending on what the other owners are going to do with/in their woods you may find that you feel a bit exposed to what their doing. Having said all this we haven't regretted buying ours and as long as you can develop a bit of tolerance (huh - hark at me!) you can deal with most of the issues that come at you over time. It's a bit like buying a house - you can't always guarantee who your neighbours are going to be.

Good Luck - I'm sure others will give you further advice and their experience.

Greyman

greyman

Postby steve rollnick » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:25 am

Chris,

having recently bought 8 acres, with two neighbours, and maybe a third on the way...... it does mean comprimise. We cant always be there and have perfect peace, because others use chain saws (we dont), and this creates one hell of a racket. I sometimes feel dissapointed, but never to the point where I regret buying the wood. My neighbours are good people, doing exciting things with their woods.....

We stay overnight a lot, so its always peaceful at the best times (early evening and early morning).

Steve

steve rollnick

Postby Catweazle » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:37 am

I think it depends on what you wish to do in your woods. If you want to walk your dogs it might be a bit small but if you just wish to spend some time nurturing the greenery and watching the wildlife then it will be fine.

Three years on I still feel really happy walking into my woods, no matter how bad the day has been my mood is instantly lifted. At the risk of sounding smug, owning a wood is a great feeling of having your place on the world.

On the practical side, you will have a yearly insurance bill but 6 acres will supply you with enough wood to heat your home - for the rest of your life - and still have a resale value at the end. How's that for a deal ?

Catweazle

Postby chrisMM » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:36 pm

Great advice thanks all, am adding up my pennies and will have to decide what to do. What sort of insurance costs are we talking about?

chrisMM

Postby tracy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:16 pm

About £100 a year I think, but it doesn't cover too much.. worth reading the thread on insurance!

tracy

Return to General