Small Woodland Owners' Group

Preserving sapwood furniture outside

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Preserving sapwood furniture outside

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Having had a very successful trip to the 'Oak Fair' in Dorset this weekend, I noticed three makers producing oak rustic furniture, who had left the waney edged sapwood on the edges, just like Davetb's bench in another thread. To my surprise when asking what measures they'd taken to weather-proof it, 2 of these sellers had no idea that the sapwood would rot without treatment, they seemed to think because it was oak, it would be fine. Alas, neh- happy days for the woodworm and fungi friends.

One maker was producing a range of deciduous softwood items with no exterior treatment and hadn't given it any thought. He was a bit proturbed when I told him his lovingly made items would decay as they currently stood. 'Spose we'd better look into that', he mooted.

I've subsequently done some googling for a solution as I very much like waney edged stuff and would like to make some myself, but not have it fall apart. I think for anyone wanting to protect benches, seats, tables, arches, or whatever, made from perishable wood left outside, this is a pretty fundamentally useful point worth discussing.

Possible solutions are something like this stuff;

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/wood-preservative

It seems an exterior preservative every 5 years plus oiling with something like 'decking oil' every year or two will (if as claimed) provide good protection and extend the life of the item into many years hopefully (?).

Anyone tried other treatments with success or can confirm the effectiveness of the above type of gunk?
oldclaypaws

Re: Preserving sapwood furniture outside

Postby Wendelspanswick » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:53 pm

I made a half sized Gypsy caravan/Shepherds hut about 5 years ago from salvaged softwood pallets as a veg/apple/cider store and to preserve it I gave it a liberal coating of Cromar Universal Wood Treatment from Toolstation, about £16 for 5L.
Apart from the timber going an attractive silvery grey there is no rot, fungus or green algae staining.
The preservative is solvent based (white spirits) which is why I think TS no longer sell it, only solvent free preservatives which is a shame.
Photo 25-08-2014 15 38 05.jpg
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Nice Sheperd's Hut, although thats quite an incline where its parked, North face of the Eiger?

Cromar's is apparently still made;

http://www.jastimber.co.uk/cromar-woodworm-dry-rot-fluid-5l

Problem I'd have with it is the anti-bug ingredient is Permethrin, its commonly included in insect repellant sprays. Its also deadly to cats, so if you had a trace of it emanating from your recently treated picnic table and puss sat on it (which they often do), it could be cat-astrophic. Always useful to read up on active ingredients and the possible toxicity issues. Not sure what the active ingredient is in Barrenntines, but as I have an ancient very special cat I'd be nervous of using anything that could harm him or other felines.
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Just checked Cuprinol & Ronseal clear wood preservatives, both contain Permethrin. It might be a matter of having to use a 'non-cat-friendly' product, and just ensuring its well aired and kept well away from puss until dry. At least it means the garden furniture is protected from chewing by predatory cats. :?
oldclaypaws

Return to General