Small Woodland Owners' Group

log sheds

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: log sheds

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:38 pm

Definitely get yourself a moisture meter as oldclaypaws suggests. I've had one of these http://shop.euroheat.co.uk/Misc2/13/Wood-Moisture-Meter.html for years. It has replaceable pins and a calibration device in the cap so you can check it before use. Just remember that for an accurate reading you need to measure across freshly exposed grain. A log thats been seasoning for a few months will need splitting so you can test the split face. You don't test the end grain either.
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:08 pm

The discussion motivated me to go and measure some moisture levels.

A green branch I cut out of the hedge today is 'over limit', = 40%+

The 'reserve heap', which is quite weathered exposed logs, but not under cover is at 22-25%

The official covered dry heap (cut last year) is at 15%

The 'kiln shed log nets' are again, 15%

In the house, the Mantelpiece, kitchen door and my bureau are at 13% (indoor fittings retain moisture from the air, we don't have central heating, so you won't get lower than this %, which is fairly healthy to live in)

The shelves and door inside the pottery, which is quite humid, are at 16%, wetter than the outside log heaps!
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:49 pm

thanks Simon and Paws. very useful information, that helps a lot. I like the idea of the pallet crates and the wheelie bins too. I'll have to start scavenging for some now. When I was working in telecoms we used to get them regularly and to dispose of them, we just left them outside the building. They were usually gone within a week, thanks to gypo's (sorry travellers) and woodland owners ;)
smojo

Postby Lincswood » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:10 pm

And if you're left with any bits of pallets, you can make a nice seat!
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1407963943.991166.jpg
Lincswood

Postby Wendelspanswick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:28 am

I agree you could call it a seat, not so sure about the 'nice' bit. ;)
Wendelspanswick

Postby Lincswood » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:39 am

Fair point, it was a rough and ready one, made for a bike show and destined for the fire afterwards!
Lincswood

Previous

Return to General