Small Woodland Owners' Group

Rope chain saw

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Rope chain saw

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:08 pm

I have a large amount of stag or 'bone' oak branches in my oaks which is very useful for craft and furniture projects, but is typically 20 or more feet up a tree, and I ain't brilliant at heights. (high heels give me vertigo, which is a real problem when cross-dressing, a common trait among lumberjacks according to the python song).

I had the idea of chucking a rope over a branch then dragging up a wire or rope saw, only to realise the idea already exists and is reportedly quite effective, as per the video link. Question is has anyone tried these and found them good, + where did you buy it. Any other easy effective ways of sawing high limbs without climbing the tree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6uLlqVUGy0
oldclaypaws

Re: Rope chain saw

Postby Mooresey » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:50 pm

Not had the pleasure of using one, but it looked like she had to use a lot of effort for it and it wasn't a very big branch either.
Mooresey

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:06 pm

A fit guy seems to be able to go through a sizeable limb quicker than a manual saw would. (see below). I reckon they are cool, certainly a lot better than trying to gingerly inch your way 20 feet up a tree. They're only about a tenner on Evilbay, so reckon its a worthwhile experiment. If good, an alternative to having a bowsaw, maybe good for taking limbs in confined space, such as taking a single Hazel bough such as a walking stick from a crowded Hazel. Apparently they are claimed to do up to !0", although stag oak is fliping hard and I'm only looking at pieces max 5-6".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaGLFR9VJ0M
oldclaypaws

Postby SitkaSpruce » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:36 pm

looks like a useful thing. I can imagine using something like this that's easy to carry. Got a pole saw but difficult to transport and use in the air. Got to be good at throwing though.
like the health and safety chainsaw demo- not.
I think she has a good point about tool weight though. I have arthritis and am always looking for light but capable tools. might give this a go.
SitkaSpruce

Postby Wendelspanswick » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:03 pm

I have used them before, basically you treat them as disposables as they go blunt pretty quick, especially on dry timber.
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:21 pm

Got to be good at throwing though

Thought about that. I reckon a fishing weight attached to a thick thread or fishing line could be shot over the bough using a hunting catapult, then haul over the rope. Using that method I reckon you could get over branches up to 30-40 ft up with not too much problem.

As regards blunting, I was under the impression they could be sharpened using usual chainsaw sharpening tools or a file, in which case they'd last quite a while (?).
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:37 pm

On the ones I have used the teeth are similar to a hardpoint handsaw, a file won't touch them. What does happen is the joints loosen up causing the 'set' to go which means the blade keeps jamming in the cut.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Terry » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:10 am

Cant open the youtube link (limited bandwidth), but would have thought a pole saw would be the answer.
I have a long access track to the house that is overhung by a lot of trees and use a silky pole saw that extends to over 6m and it does the job very well.
A few years in and the original blade is still plenty sharp and have done quite a bit of cutting with it and it has seen some professional use from my neighbour as well.
Mind you, not cheap, but with on-going use for it, worth the money I think.
Terry

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:17 am

I have some stag oak on the ground, so first option is to use that first. At around £10, a budget rope chain would be the next choice, and then if unsuccessful perhaps a 6.3M 'Cutting edge Stallion' pole saw from FR Jones for £126. Of course everyone knows the reputation of Silky, but for the amount of use it would get I couldnt justify over £300 for a Silky 6.3M Hayate. Thinking about it though, I do know someone who has one......

Nuclear option is a tree surgeon for a morning to take off as many bits as possible, or just fell the tree. :roll:
oldclaypaws

Postby Dave and Verity » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:09 am

Looks good, the fact that it works better for women is a definite plus, I'll just point to the relevant branches and let Verity do the rest.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Next

Return to General