Small Woodland Owners' Group

Short walk-through

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Short walk-through

Postby Woodsmith » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:02 am

With apologies for the rubbish shaky camera work this is a short vid of a walk through part of our 4 acre woodland in Herefordshire. :) :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ksgDNcPoHg
Woodsmith

Re: Short walk-through

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:37 am

Looks splendid, nice and level and a good mix of tree sizes and ages with a few lighter areas. Didnt see anything that required action. A perfect little wood. Sounds very quiet too. You must be very happy with it. :D
oldclaypaws

Postby dredger99 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:03 pm

From one fellow shaky camera operator to another :D

Your woods look lovely, some magnificent trees as well.
I swear i could watch videos like these all day, especially while i'm at work :lol:

If i could ask a question, what settings did you upload your video to you tube with.
When i uploaded i seem to end up with poor quality.

Dredger
dredger99

Postby Woodsmith » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Thanks for the nice comments, so happy to be custodians of the wood. Regarding the upload, I just uploaded it from my phone, didn't change anything. Maybe it's the camera settings? Dunno, I'm a tech dunce. Good luck with it :) :)
Woodsmith

Postby smojo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:32 pm

Ahh that looks really nice. Not too many brambles either - you can actually walk through it.
smojo

Postby Zathras » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:42 am

Thanks for sharing Woodsmith, PM heading your way...

If anybody is interested in seeing mine, then please PM me for the link as I'm not posting them publicly at the moment.

EDIT: Quick shakycam tip by the way.
Tie a bit of paracord or string to your belt, then around your camera/phone. (I pull cord though a small tied loop to make an auto sizing loop)
This way you can keep the vertical taught using your hips as an anchor, although it doesn't remove all the shake it certainly makes a huge difference.
Zathras

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:22 pm

Until such time as they build image stabilisation into phones as standard features, videos on them will remain shaky to the point of inducing epilepsy in viewers. Most decent top end digital cameras do have stabilisation, so ironically I now use the laptop for emailing rather than telephoning, the mobile phone for pictures rather than the camera, the camera for videos rather than stills, and never bought a video camera. I also seem to just stick a debit card in my phone sleeve rather than carry a wallet for payment, and will soon use the phone instead. Its a funny world and hard to keep pace with. Fortunately people still eat off bowls, they've not yet come up with a phone you can eat off, so I'm safe.
oldclaypaws

Postby dredger99 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:21 am

Lovely vid Zathras.

The river that runs along your wood is beautiful, do you get fishing rights?
I have a small river / stream along the boundary of mine and the sound of running trickling water is so soothing i love it.
:)
Your wood looks very peaceful and full of character and i'm sure now the woods are at full bloom that your can hardly see the wood for the tree's :lol: (sorry) :oops: couldn't resist.

I'm not sure of the swearing rules on this forum so i won't but when i see mindless vandalism it really :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: me off, we've been lucky and so far nothing has been touched from ours apart from a small hand trolly for moving logs went awol but when i see this type of thing you know someones belongings just strewn about well, :evil: i just don't understand what is rattling around in their minds to think this is ok or fun.
i'm not sure what you do to avoid this in future though, i know there were a few good comments on the thread about it.

Your pond looks absolutely fantastic, it's part of my long term plan to make the pond we have a wee bit bigger but that is long term.
Anyway i have rambled on enough.
Excellent vid

Dredger
dredger99

Postby Woodsmith » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:05 pm

Our woodland neighbours had a visit a few months ago, lots of firewood nicked after they made themselves a fire in his wood and cooked their tea on it. Same day a lorry load of sheep skeletons complete with heads were flytipped at the entrance gate. Not nice to deal with :evil: :evil: :roll:
Woodsmith

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:30 pm

a small hand trolly for moving logs went awol

Thats the exact same item that I lost over the Christmas break. Would make a great buggy for kiddies, which is exactly what it was first designed as....... 2 + 2 = ? The more useful perfectly decent wheelbarrow was left, but you can't ride so well on a wheelbarrow.

The lorryload of sheep stuff might have been the aftermath of a rustling and butchering operation, its happened near us. If you nick sheep to sell the meat, you dont go via official abattoirs. Probably not the kindest treatment of the poor sheep either. Horrific.
oldclaypaws

Next

Return to General