Small Woodland Owners' Group

Rex meets Rex

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Rex meets Rex

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:39 am

Anyone who watched my woodland video tour will remember 'Rex', our massive and magnificent 400 year old Oak. 'Rex' is not only Latin of course for King (of the trees), but was the name of my esteemed farmer friend and former pottery barn landlord in Surrey, so we were doubly pleased to name our big tree Rex. Rex the farmer also had a lovely wife Thelma, so we named our other big ancient oak Thelma.

They recently were in our part of the world and sought us out to visit the wood, so we were able to show them their namesake trees, which they had previously not known about. They were chuffed to bits, more moved than being awarded OBE's ! Rex (farmer) felt humbled and honoured that such a wonderful tree had been named after him.
Rex farmer is about 1/5th the age of the tree.

Rex (farmer) it turns out, is named after his Uncle Rex, who was killed in WWI at Gallipoli.

Here they are posing in front of their trees;

rex meets rex.jpg

thelma.jpg
oldclaypaws

Re: Rex meets Rex

Postby smojo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:57 pm

That's really great. It must have made their day and a lovely piece of social history. Make sure you identify what the photos are about for future generations. In another 50 years, one of your ancestors will look at the photos and say "I wonder who they were and why they are standing in front of those big trees."
smojo

Re: Rex meets Rex

Postby TerryH » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:36 pm

Lovely pictures (and story) OCP. I don't think I've ever seen oaks as large as that. I love how Rex, the tree, also appears to be holding a walking stick..
TerryH

Return to General