Small Woodland Owners' Group

The Dangers Of Rhododendrons

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

The Dangers Of Rhododendrons

Postby Wendelspanswick » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:19 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27882358
A bizarre story about a couple having to be rescued from a forest of Rhododendrons!
Wendelspanswick

Re: The Dangers Of Rhododendrons

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:16 pm

How fascinating. I'd no idea they could be so thick underneath. I can see why many people like them though - that vast expanse of purple across the landscape. It's a shame they are so damaging in other ways.
SimonFisher

Re: The Dangers Of Rhododendrons

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:04 pm

I looked at a wood for sale by our illustrious hosts near to me which hadn't had active management for decades. It was fairly described as 'jungle', and there was a real 'pioneering' feel to trying to pick your way through. In one part there was an impenetrable 'wall' of Rhodos, each about 3-4" wide, but only a similar distance apart, so about 50% of any given volume was taken up but Rhodo wood, the other 50% air. I've never seen another living plant so crowded. There was also an enormous veteran Rhodo which was truly amazing. The central trunks were maybe 15" wide, going up to about 12 feet in height, where it spread outwards, forming a dome-like Rhodo 'Yurt' underneath. It was a living room, about 20 feet wide. I thought to myself if I bought the wood I'd certainly leave that as a feature, whatever else I did to the rest of it.

Eventually .co.uk sent in a 4 wheel driven understorey chomping machine (I don't know the name of it), which went through 'the jungle', reducing it to chippings. I'd imagine it was similar to this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E25tvhBAN8

If only something ate or resided in Rhodos happily it would be welcome, it is very attractive (and burns well), but like Laurel, it creates a sterile 'blacked out' understorey which suppresses all the other native plants, including tree seeedlings, so eventually you have nothing else.
oldclaypaws

Return to General