Small Woodland Owners' Group

useful things to make

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

useful things to make

Postby smojo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:40 am

On the basis that the tools list topic seems to have been fruitful I'd like to start one where we can discuss useful things to make or upcycle that cost little or nothing. The emphasis is on things specifically for use in our woodlands - like tools or aids of some kind. I had my thinking cap on and came up with a few ideas.

To source materials and tools etc I have had some nice responses over the years from Freecycle. If you haven't heard of it, it's run by Yahoo (you need a Yahoo email address to join). Most towns/cities have their own local group. Basically people post adverts of stuff they don't want but don't like to throw away. They give it away for free. If you see something you just reply politely asking if you can have it then if it's still available, you arrange to collect. You can advertise for things you want too and you'll be surprised what people will give away. I was looking for old bicycle inner tubes to use as hinges for birdbox lids and a guy has offered my some motorbike ones. Cool or what? I got a small B&D bench grinder with new wheels a few months ago. Beware though, when you sign up you get all the ads as separate emails and if it's a big city there can be hundreds over a few days!

I saw these videos and thought how useful the "reaping hook" he makes would be for helping clear undergrowth. I guess you have a machete or bush hook in one hand whilst pulling and raking out brambles etc with the reaper. Gonna make me one when I get in there. Claypaws take note ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zoTfoZJMUg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vult_w_oYDI

I love OCPs barbecue fire made from a washing machine drum and the stake driver that Greyman made (photo in the toolist topic)
smojo

Re: useful things to make

Postby Zathras » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:10 am

Oh I like that reaping hook idea!

I found it quite difficult to clear brush with a machete or billhook as you get brambles and nettles in the face as they fold over.

Although I have had my eyes on a much longer machete like the man in that video has, my Gerber (which was stolen) was an okay length but was a swine to get sharp.

I have since bought the now in-thumb-mous (sorry paws, couldn't resist) Fiskars AX3, this does a great job on many tasks but I feel that big bush clearance would benefit from a long bladed machete combined with that reaping hook.
Zathras

Re: useful things to make

Postby Terry » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:44 am

Smojo
Regarding freecycle, you have options as to what you receive in your email - cant remember what they are, but I just get a summary of all the wants and offers once a day generally.
Terry

Return to General