Small Woodland Owners' Group

Guardian feature on owning a small woodland

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Guardian feature on owning a small woodland

Postby Rich » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:26 am

We've had a request from Becky Barnicoat, Deputy Editor of 'Do Something' magazine at The Guardian. She is looking to interview someone who has bought a small piece of woodland with a group of friends. She would love to speak to someone who is talkative, excited about their wood, and is using it in a really creative way - eg learning wood craft, foresting techniques, camping out, encouraging wildlife.

The article would be aimed at someone who has done this with a group of friends/other families as she thinks it's a really great social endeavour, and would also it make the concept feel more accessible to her readers.

Please contact her directly onthe number below.

Many thanks

Becky Barnicoat
Deputy Editor
Do Something magazine
The Guardian
020 3353 4941

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Re: Guardian feature on owning a small woodland

Postby Terry » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:50 am

mmmm, not that I necessarily disagree with the direction she wants to take the story, but I thought journalism was about reporting how things actually are / how those involved feel /what is actually happening etc etc - ie the facts, rather than the journalist putting their own particular spin on it?? A journalist should merely be a channel for reporting to the rest of the world about a particular topic rather than someone painting a picture of what they think the situation should be.

I appreciate this flies in the face of modern press practises and perhaps I am a bit old fashioned, but it is the reason I view most press reports with a healthy dose of scepticism - difficult to always know what angle they are pushing, when they should just be giving us the facts. Too much painting pictures and shaded opinion and not enough real life. Its no wonder so many people have lost touch with reality.

The only time I bother buying a paper these days is when I am travelling and the choice is generally based on the quality of the puzzle pages.

Soap box retired for the day ;)
Terry

Return to General