Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tree Protection Sauce

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Tree Protection Sauce

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:32 pm

Hello

Have been looking at a person called Sepp Holzer who is a permaculture guru
He can be found on permies.com
He uses bones heated in two cauldrons to make a sauce in a method like charcoal production
The "glug" is then painted on trees and deer keep their distance

Anyone any more info on this or tried it?

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Re: Tree Protection Sauce

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:03 pm

In principle, if Matey is correct, this sounds like very good stuff, deterring deer for a decade or more. Only downside I can see is that for the effort involved, the 'yield' was very modest, and you'd have to spend a considerable time 'cooking' to protect the average sized wood thoroughly as you'd need a couple of gallons of product.

Maybe better to allow the little darlings to nibble, but 'harvest' them occasionally by inviting in a marksman chum, as I intend to do this winter. He's going to butcher them, bury any residual gore, and give us a 50% share of the meat. (In proper open season of course). When he was younger with a family and was made redundant, he fed his family for three years by shooting game (legally, with landowners consent), and swapping some of it down the allotments for vegetables. Almost a UK hunter-gatherer, as such. Can be done if you have the kit, contacts, skill, and aren't a hippy woose like me who has guilt treading on a snail.
oldclaypaws

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:09 pm

Is it the smell that deters them? Perhaps you can daub only the trees around the perimeter of the area to be protected? If a deer did get inside the ringed area though, it might be reluctant to leave having to pass through the line of smelly trees to get out again.
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:05 pm

Yes, apparently Herr Bonesauce is proud of how disgusting his concoction smells. Alternatively, I could hang my unwashed socks off each tree, they can curdle milk at 30 paces. :lol: If anyone thinks a soup of 'dog-eggs' would do the same, I'd be happy to harvest some for you, I'm sure the 'hound sausage' fragrance deters the old deers to a degree.
oldclaypaws

Return to General