Small Woodland Owners' Group

restrictions on keys

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: restrictions on keys

Postby SitkaSpruce » Wed May 28, 2014 10:37 am

yep nightmare
found keys missing when in middle of the wood.
went to gate where last seen- no sign, not in lock. gentle panic, scour path
back to gate-
fallen out of lock into long grass

much relief
had all my keys including house keys on it but fortunately not car key
SitkaSpruce

Postby SimonFisher » Wed May 28, 2014 10:49 am

Rankinswood wrote:... employ a daisy chain of padlocks where you add your own (multi key) padlock to the chain...

Fine till some numpty locks theirs across wrong part of the chain and leaves yours a dangling daisy and you can't get in or out! And there's the problem of someone who thinks their 99p padlock is good enough. I'd rather have one good chain and one good lock.
SimonFisher

Postby smojo » Wed May 28, 2014 3:18 pm

did he not have a 4x4 for going up the muddy path?

some of our visitors leave their cars and walk in, as they just wouldn't get up the track without getting stuck

Nah - just a battered old van. The track is fantastic, dry chippings recently laid so sure he would have used it if he had a key.

Fine till some numpty locks theirs across wrong part of the chain and leaves yours a dangling daisy and you can't get in or out! And there's the problem of someone who thinks their 99p padlock is good enough. I'd rather have one good chain and one good lock.

Me too. A chain is only as good as it's weakest link. How does daisy chaining locks prevent someone making 10 copies of their key and giving them out to their mates at the pub? Less secure than being allowed to copy just one really good lock which would cost too much to make many.
smojo

Postby SimonFisher » Wed May 28, 2014 5:27 pm

smojo wrote:How does daisy chaining locks prevent someone making 10 copies of their key and giving them out to their mates at the pub?

It doesn't. My broader point in this topic that it's not for someone else to dictate how many people you can allow to use your woods or how many keys you can have unless they have some legal basis (covenant or other agreement) for doing so.
SimonFisher

Postby wrekin » Wed May 28, 2014 9:08 pm

Very few padlocks can withstand the attentions of two guys armed with a crowbar, a cold chisel, and a club hammer. A lot of high security equipment isn't at all secure, especially somewhere isolated where making a lot of noise isn't a problem.
http://hutters.uk - Woods, huts, cabins, sheds, forestry
wrekin

Postby smojo » Fri May 30, 2014 8:56 am

Just had reply from Woods4sale about keys. I get two copies and they can supply others at cost should I need them. Seems OK to me.
smojo

Postby Andy M » Fri May 30, 2014 9:08 am

smojo wrote:Just had reply from Woods4sale about keys. I get two copies and they can supply others at cost should I need them. Seems OK to me.

But do you have to sign a covenant that you will tell all your friends/helpers that you are only allowed one?
Andy M

Postby smojo » Fri May 30, 2014 11:43 am

But do you have to sign a covenant that you will tell all your friends/helpers that you are only allowed one?

Nope. Just saw the solicitor yesterday and there was nothing in the covenant about that. It just mentions not doing anything to upset the other woodland owners like using it for motor racing, renting it out as a permanent campsite, etc. Darn I wanted to run formula one events there :P
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri May 30, 2014 7:52 pm

smojo wrote: not doing anything to upset the other woodland owners like using it for motor racing,

you may get lucky and find all the other plot holders have the same outlook as you, then it's not racing if you happen to be both using sit on mowers, driving down the same ride :D
Dexter's Shed

Previous

Return to General