Small Woodland Owners' Group

One handed woodland activity

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: One handed woodland activity

Postby Binz » Fri May 23, 2014 7:14 am

glad you're looking at it positively. Often we spend so much time 'doing' stuff we forget to take time out and just enjoy 'being' in the woods.

“If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live” ― Lin Yutang
Binz

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri May 23, 2014 9:35 am

If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner

-Then have you considered a career in Local Government? You sound like a suitable candidate. :lol:
oldclaypaws

Postby qwercus » Fri May 23, 2014 8:13 pm

There is a story of a hurdle maker in West Sussex who had his hand damaged in the First World War. The tendons on the back of his hand must have been completely severed, as he could grasp things but not unclench his grip. Every morning his wife would bind his hand to the handle of his billhook and he was able to carry on hurdlemaking throughout the day. At knocking off time he would sink the billhook into a convenient log and untie the bindings with his good hand. In this way he was able to carry on his trade for many years. I was told this story by a reliable source and have no reason to doubt it, I guess before the welfare state it was work or starve !!.

Anyway I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you never need to take such drastic action.
qwercus

Postby smudge » Sat May 24, 2014 3:30 pm

when talking of billhooks allways reminds me of the 2 ronnies four candles sketch (sorry my sense of humor)
smudge

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sat May 24, 2014 3:41 pm

When I bought my wood I was asked what was I going to do it. My answer was always "sit in it". It is at least the right type of year to sit in the woods. Take a picnic, and the binoculars and a good book-oh and the camera, I can spend quite a lot of time like that. Maybe a bit wander round. I'm still counting my trees using a single chalk mark on each tree as I go- can be done one handed though you'll have to stop to write it down?
SitkaSpruce

Previous

Return to General