Small Woodland Owners' Group

Oops

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Oops

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sat May 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Sorry to hear of your injury. It's all too easy to do. I picked up my loppers in the wood- wiped off the pine needles- oops- no glove and the surprisingly sharp blade cut my thumb. needless to say- had no first aid kit and was deep in the wood dripping blood. bit tissue and tree marking tape wound round was my makeshift solution. I also learnt a useful lesson - I now put my gloves on first.
Hope you heal quickly.
SitkaSpruce

Postby Tarrel » Sat May 24, 2014 7:11 pm

I did that with a hatchet. Seems I was better at sharpening than I thought I was! :oops:
Tarrel

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri May 30, 2014 10:08 pm

I'd like to do a thumbs up in recognition of the amazing Stephen Sutton, but think I'll have to leave it at a thumb half-up, and securely fixed in that position for the next few weeks. Consultant seems pleased, and I've been able to move the dangling digit a bit, so the tendons are nicely sewn together and working.

wound.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:23 pm

How you getting on Oldclaypaws? Healing?
SitkaSpruce

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks for asking Sitka.

Your comment reminds me of when I did my back in about 15 years ago, slipping two discs. A neighbour asked "av you erd of Ealing?" Yes, I replied, you mean the suburb near Acton ? I know it well having stayed in a Hotel there. "No!" he retorted, "Ealing, 'ealing with the 'ands !"

To answer the question, after 6 weeks the 'ealing is frustratingly slow. I can't recommend doing in 5 tendons. I'm allowed light use of the injured hand now, but to do so hurts and it has no strength at all. I've about 50% of the usual movement of the thumb and I can just about lift an apple. It feels very taut, I've a lot of scar tissue which is stopping the tendons sliding properly. I felt quite low being unable to do much, it doesn't suit me sitting and watching daytime TV when I'm used to making stuff and chucking logs around. The upside is a fullish recovery is on the cards if I behave, but it'll be another 6 weeks before I have any strength in the hand and a year for the tendons to fully recover. Could have been worse; if I'd gone into the joints I'd be permanently stuffed, it was a close call.

Bought a nice pair of protective Stihl Chainsaw gloves this week, once I've managed to get one on the left hand I don't think I'll ever take it off again.
oldclaypaws

Postby Zathras » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:29 am

Good to hear you are healing.

Don't forget that chainsaw gloves are designed to stuff up a rotating chains to stop the device quickly rather than protect against impacts with sharp things.

I've been looking at chainmail gloves myself for doing billhook/machete work, but they are damned expensive!
Zathras

Postby smojo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:40 pm

I've been looking at chainmail gloves myself for doing billhook/machete work, but they are damned expensive!

Just had a look on Ebay, quite a few listed £20 odd and upward. You only get one but that's probably all you need. Dunno if the cheap ones are any good but bound to be better than flesh!
smojo

Postby Wendelspanswick » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:13 pm

I have a chain mail glove somewhere, given to me by a pal who did a stint working in an abattoir until he found it was not for him! Good protection against slicing you free hand, not sure how much protection it would give from a machete blow as the mail is quite fine for dexterity.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Zathras » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:13 am

I couldn't see any on eBay for £20, unless you're talking about mediaeval reenactment type.
Even on eBay they start at £50 for a professional butchery glove and there are various different grades and quality all the way up into the hundreds.

Given this is for machete work I think looking at the upper grades and gauntlet type is probably best. Even then you would have one hell of a bruise or broken bones, maybe could still go through but a least the damage is hugely limited.
Zathras

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:50 pm

A surprise phone call tonight from the Chair of the Brazilian Football Federation.

"Fancy a job as our new goalkeeper? I know you've only got one hand, but you can't be any worse than the current guy". :lol: :roll: :? :o
oldclaypaws

PreviousNext

Return to General