Small Woodland Owners' Group

Oops

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Oops

Postby Binz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:28 am

what about motorbike gloves? Some have quite a bit of rigid protection
Binz

Postby Terry » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:57 am

Sorry to hear about your woes paws - been away and just catching up with all the activity.
Seems to have been a good period in May for accidents - put an axe of similar finnish steel into my knee about the same time as your fine effort :oops:
Nobody at home so strapped up with an old pair of trousers and drove to the A & E. Luckily just a cut that they could glue and no ligament/tendon damage even though it was diagonally across just above the knee cap.
A few weeks of hobbling around was about the worst of it.

How goes the healing. Got much strength back as yet or have you been a good boy and rested it?

I think someone already mentioned the Ripeur gloves earlier in this thread - apparently very good.
Terry

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:39 am

As several people were kind enough to offer best wishes and this has been a much read topic, thought I'd give an update on my recent spill and end it on a positive note.

After 3 months I've now been signed off by the hospital, they are satisfied I've made a reasonable degree of recovery. I'm starting to resume a degree of normal routine, making a few pots, general medium to light physical work and thinking ahead to the winter project of starting a building in the wood and planking big oaks. It'll be maybe a few weeks until I pick up a chainsaw (wearing full PPE), but the prospect of the 'old' super-active Paws is visibly nearing on the horizon. The hand feels different and may never be quite the same, but it'll do most of what's needed. The grip is good and I can hold a full pint glass. Spent much of the last couple of weeks reading woodworking books and investigating various tools, so being optimistic and forward looking.

A big thumb (and a half wobbly thumb) up to the NHS, its only when you have an issue you realise how fortunate we are to have this system. 'Spose its been a lesson in thinking of the hazards of tools and protective gear, and it could have been worse, I could have taken off the thumb completely or been left permanently disabled. I've seen some very badly off other people in physio in a dreadful pathetic state who are dependant on carers for the rest of their lifes, by comparison I'm well fit.

The wood was certainly a great place to be during the recovery, there are worse ways to spend an hour or two than sitting in a glade looking at butterflies, trees and clouds.

Thanks for the support. Onwards and upwards !
oldclaypaws

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:56 am

Glad you are recovering and it was important to share this and to give an update.
Good luck for the rest of the year in the woods.
For various reasons, folk don't always share the less positive things in life, but they are areas we can learn from and ponder over...
Meadowcopse

Postby The Barrowers » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:21 pm

Good news Maybe a lesson to us all Keep Well Winter coming
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby smojo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:58 pm

Nice to hear your on the mend again and able to hold a pint. :D
smojo

Previous