Small Woodland Owners' Group

payment for someone felling your trees

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: payment for someone felling your trees

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed May 07, 2014 6:57 pm

the whole of our woods were used to raise pheasants,and had a shoot on them, before it was divided off into smaller plots, trust me, squirrels will still be there, as will all the other wildlife, once you have settled in, and camped a few nights, going for walks at dusk/dawn, you start seeing stuff you wouldn't believe,
Dexter's Shed

Postby Jackdaw » Wed May 07, 2014 8:03 pm

Dexter's Shed wrote:once you have settled in, and camped a few nights, going for walks at dusk/dawn, you start seeing stuff you wouldn't believe,

Such as what Dex ?, go on............
Jackdaw

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed May 07, 2014 10:32 pm

Jackdaw wrote:
Dexter's Shed wrote:once you have settled in, and camped a few nights, going for walks at dusk/dawn, you start seeing stuff you wouldn't believe,

Such as what Dex ?, go on............

when we first visited, we saw the normal droppings, but since staying over we have seen, in our woodland plot

red deer
foxes
rabbits
squirrels
buzzards
tawny owl
lesser spotted woodpecker
pheasant
partridge
crow
wood pigeon
nuthatch
robins
lots of tits
chaffinch
greenfinch
wren
jay
big foot
harvest mouse
wood mouse
rattus rattus

probably a few I've forgotten, funnily enough, is how owning a wood changes your outlook on life, being a full time pest controller, I wanted a wood with full sporting rights, as I used to enjoy days out shooting, well 14 months later and the only thing with a death warrant on it's head is those pesky squirrels, as they destroy our bird feeders/pheasant feeders.
I would not raise my gun at any of the others, the only shots I take at them are with my camera

there are reports that we have wild boar in the woods, yet have never seen them or signs of them, however, if I did, I might be tempted, as could imagine a good hog roast would go down well :D
Dexter's Shed

Postby smojo » Thu May 08, 2014 8:24 am

I'm looking forward to seeing some of those - especially lots of tits :twisted:
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu May 08, 2014 10:15 am

smojo wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing some of those - especially lots of tits :twisted:

you'll fit right in here, same sense of humour :lol:

my wife loves camping at our woods, well, I should say glamping as it's no longer the hammocks or a tent, but goose dynasty hq, and if Im lucky and no one's about, I get to see some really nice tits

http://youtu.be/Y873nmCP7BY
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu May 08, 2014 10:40 am

Great Tits on that video, thanks for sharing Dexter. If you like Tits, this site is good;

https://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/g/greattit/
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu May 08, 2014 12:54 pm

On the subject of coppicing, any recommendations on how low (or high) to cut it? I don't think I've got any deer but the rabbits seem to nibble away anything green that appears... Strangely, it seems to be only the sycamore that is winning this particular battle. I've no idea why?

Traditionally on species such as Hazel, you cut as low as possible close to the ground and get regeneration from shoots coming from the base of the tree. This produces vigorous even new growth, but these will be susceptible to nibbling, especially sweet tasting shoots such as sweet chestnut, ash, and willow. An alternative is 'copparding', where you cut at about 4'6", and will get regrowth above the height deer or rabbits can get to from the top of the older branches. Its a different sort of growth, but worth considering if chronic nibbling is an issue. I seem to be OK with the Hazel, which isnt nibbled excessively, but copparding works well on the others I mentioned.

Recommend 'Coppicing and coppice crafts' by Oaks and Mills, or Ben Laws 'Woodland Way', both very informative and affordable.

I found if coppicing large old leaning boughs they are very susceptible to splitting along the length, particularly Hazel, which can split the root, so a good technique to avoid this is make a small cut on the underside, then cut through about 6" above from the top side, if its going to split it'll only do so to the first cut. Once through with the weight off the top it won't split, so tidy by doing a third clean cut all the way through.
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Fri May 09, 2014 7:43 am

When coppicing hazel - do you normally cut all the old growth down to the stump or just the bigger stems?
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri May 09, 2014 10:49 am

smojo wrote:When coppicing hazel - do you normally cut all the old growth down to the stump or just the bigger stems?

I normally cut nearly flush with the floor and so far, everything has always grown back
Dexter's Shed

Re: books that cover coppicing

Postby SimonFisher » Fri May 09, 2014 12:39 pm

smojo wrote:When coppicing hazel - do you normally cut all the old growth down to the stump or just the bigger stems?

For an easy to read explanation of coppicing and other woodland matters I'd highly recommend the BTCV book "Woodlands: A Practical Handbook" by Elizabeth Agate. It gives readily understood information on many of the subjects covered through its excellent use of diagrams. See http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0946752338.

Also by the same author, Tree Planting & Aftercare - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0946752257.
SimonFisher

PreviousNext

Return to General