Small Woodland Owners' Group

payment for someone felling your trees

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

payment for someone felling your trees

Postby smojo » Tue May 06, 2014 5:50 pm

When I get my woodland, there is a sycamore stand that will needs some thinning. I met a chap in the woods that helps his mate who has a plot there and he has chainsaw and the skill to use it. He tentatively offered to help me if I need it. I wouldn't expect his services for free but I know he has a woodburner at home so I was thinking I might approach him to do some felling and cutting up but rather than offer ££££ - offer a proportion of the felled timber but what percentage do you think would be fair for us both? ( I also have an open fire and want to use the thinnings for logs).
smojo

Re: payment for someone felling your trees

Postby ballibeg » Tue May 06, 2014 6:58 pm

I work on quarters.

1st quarter to me as owner
2nd quarter to me for my time
3rd quarter to me for my equipment
4th quarter to my helper

Dave
ballibeg

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue May 06, 2014 9:47 pm

Two years ago I had never handled a medium size chainsaw. Now I'm looking at top range Stihls and milling kit. Have a bit of belief in your own abilities. Your trees are not huge, you're well capable of doing it yourself with the right kit and a bit of training- and it feels good to D.I.Y. Think 'not what can others do for me, but what can I do myself'.
oldclaypaws

Postby Tarrel » Tue May 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Those sycamores are part of your asset, and definitely have a value.
Tarrel

Postby smojo » Wed May 07, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks everyone - good comments. I like the quarters principle if I should need help. Paws - yes I always try to do as much myself as I can I guess I was thinking chainsaw = more £££££s. I have used a small electric B&D one years ago but just for cutting logs for firewood. The sycamores could probably be felled with an axe easy enough but then it's the cutting up into logs that would be just too much work with a handsaw. The wood has a TPO on it so my first task would be to identify what I want down, draw up a management plan and apply to Donny council for approval. Big learning curve for me here but I'm ready for a challenge.
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed May 07, 2014 3:07 pm

again, I'll add, Chinese imports, way back when we started there was a big discussion about me cutting my limbs off by using a cheapo chainsaw, I ended up buying twice, a nice little 14" bar husky, and also my widow maker 20" bar, once I had received my days training from a tree feller friend and watching you tube clips, I was a master of using both, and have run both side by side in our woods to get a comparison, one cost around £140, the other £60, in all honesty, the cheapo one I've had less hassle with, and lives permanently in the back of the car
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed May 07, 2014 3:27 pm

A reasonable Chainsaw is about the best investment you could make and will give many years of pleasurable service. You've not got huge trees so might be OK with something like a 40cc such as a Stihl MS 231.

Dexter seems to have shares in The Shanghai Acme Co, but is possibly in a minority of one on this issue, safety should be paramount and you get what you pay for; Stihl, Echo or Husky are built to last and you can get spares, Chinky Chainsaws from Fleabay or B & Q are built to be used for a weekend and then chucked after the first bit drops off. My Chinky made Brushcutter was fine for the first 3 hours, then a bit cracked off and that was it; no spares, it went in a skip.
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed May 07, 2014 5:16 pm

Smojo; on the basis of 'best to make the best of what you've got', have you considered a coppicing regime on some of the Sycamore? (And maybe leaving some as Standards) It would give sustainable fuel, be good for wildlife by periodically letting in light and it could overcome any TPO objections. You'd have the excitement of seeing each cant regenerating and there'd always be something new happening. Usual rotation is 15 years, so you could do maybe 1/4 of an acre or so a year.

You'd need to protect the cut stools from deer browsing (I notice they nibble the side shoots too), but it coppices well and is not bad for wildlife- the sweet sap supports loads of aphids and moths. Not everyone likes sycamore (in an urban setting, they are accused of causing lots of slippery leaf litter in the autumn), but its an 'hononary native' and may fill many of the gaps eventually left by diseased Ash. Call it 'Great Maple' and it sounds more noble.

To answer your original question, I think you'll find you can afford to be generous, you'll have far more wood than you need, I'd see how he feels about 1/2 - 1/3rd, but I reckon you'll get drawn in and end up doing it all yourself. It keeps you young !
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Wed May 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Cheers Paws. My head is full of ideas and I haven't even got it yet. Yes did think about coppicing the sycamore. I am really into that idea. Dunno where to start yet though. Guessing near the borders where they might get more light as they'd have to compete with the tall stand if I cut the centre ones.

Haven't seen any sign of deer, or a single squirrel yet and just an odd rabbit dropping in the other wood I looked at previously. I heard that the woods were leased by a shooting syndicate previously and "my" wood was used to rear pheasants. So I'm thinking that they might have eradicated any mammals etc.

Hope it does keep me young and not finish me off. :shock:
smojo

Postby Lincswood » Wed May 07, 2014 6:35 pm

On the subject of coppicing, any recommendations on how low (or high) to cut it? I don't think I've got any deer but the rabbits seem to nibble away anything green that appears... Strangely, it seems to be only the sycamore that is winning this particular battle. I've no idea why?
Lincswood

Next

Return to General