Small Woodland Owners' Group

Vandalism and theft

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Vandalism and theft

Postby TerryH » Sun May 11, 2014 7:05 pm

Sorry to read about the vandalism Zathras. I'm not a big fan of humans at all really.. as soon as you make something for yourself in life there is generally someone waiting to come along and take it away or spoil it !

We've been really lucky and haven't suffered any intrusion other than a couple of ramblers that lost the main footpath and they are very welcome, in my mind. Our wood is a mile from the nearest village and is on a main road. However, there is a poultry farm just opposite our entrance and their dogs and livestock make for quite a good burglar alarm - we often set them off when we arrive anyway. Most of all though, our wood is directly under the flight path of Gatwick airport and as such the road is patrolled regularly by police.. ( was recently contacted by them as they wanted to make sure I wasn't setting up any surface to air missiles in the wood !)

I had been thinking of installing a small shed in our wood but when I read things like this I'm more inclined to leave things just as they are and just carry tools back and forth instead.
Hope you don't get any more invaders!
TerryH

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun May 11, 2014 7:23 pm

a couple of ramblers that lost the main footpath and they are very welcome

Yes, it helps add variety to the diet doesn't it. :mrgreen:

food-drink-explorer-exploring-missionaries-consolation-cannibal-12265343_low.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby TerryH » Sun May 11, 2014 8:58 pm

Oh no, I generally only eat them if I think they've seen the whiskey still... otherwise I just tie 'em up and make 'em listen to me playing some real fast tunes on my banjo. Then, if they can squeal like good little piggies, I usually let them go.
TerryH

Postby jennysmate » Mon May 12, 2014 3:58 pm

I had been thinking of installing a small shed in our wood but when I read things like this I'm more inclined to leave things just as they are and just carry tools back and forth instead

The only way I can see to keep tools secure in the woods is to bury them out of sight. This could be as simple as digging a hole and putting a dustbin in it, or digging a bigger hole and building an underground room which could double as a shelter. My wood is on chalk, so free draining. I used a pond liner and have had no damp issues.
Last edited by jennysmate on Tue May 13, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jennysmate

Postby caspian40 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi,
Really sorry to hear your woodlands and possessions have been ransacked and damaged and stolen by these toe rags i could think of a few stronger words... have you thought about these wildlife cameras that have motion sensors and night vison to try and catch these thugs?

Best regards
Mick
caspian40

Postby Zathras » Tue May 13, 2014 9:21 am

caspian40 wrote:Really sorry to hear your woodlands and possessions have been ransacked and damaged and stolen by these toe rags i could think of a few stronger words... have you thought about these wildlife cameras that have motion sensors and night vison to try and catch these thugs?

I have considered this and many other options to aid in identifying future vandals, some actions have now been taken with more on the agenda but best not provide too many details of our actions in open forum.

jennysmate wrote:The only way I can see to keep tools secure in the woods is to bury them out of sight. This could be as simple as digging a hole and putting a dustbin in it, or digging a bigger hole and building an underground room which could double as a shelter. My wood is on chalk, so free draining. I used a pond liner and have had no damp issues.

I've come to the same conclusion now, this does seem to be the only way forward for us to store some bulky low value items onsite, however we are struggling to find a location.

There are two issues we have with implementing this solution, firstly there is rather a lot of undergrowth in the woods so any hiding hole would have a clear track leading to it. Secondly, it seems the thieves had dogs as there were prints around the security locker and damaged areas so we're worried that they might seek it out and find it that way.

Any tips on the bury a bin type implementations?

I have been looking for storage with a sealable top to prevent water ingress, and a way to make it and the contents accessible but hidden. Also I expect roots to be a challenge and don't really want to be digging multiple holes to find a clear/deep enough spot.
Zathras

Postby Meadowcopse » Tue May 13, 2014 10:18 am

Unfortunately the whole issue of storage, security and theft and vandalism will not go away and the aspects of theft for residual value and vandalism for the sake of it, or breaking into something secure 'because there must be something of value' will always be with us.

The only thing that seems to have reduced unwanted visitors and incidents in the area around my plot, has been increased visits at various hours of the day or night - which is not practical for a lot of folk (fortunately I work shifts usually), and not without risk regarding less pleasant folk and activities.

Resealable barrels, example supplier:
http://www.dvcontainers.co.uk/category.asp?catID=4

Although a bit of an effort and unobtrusiveness would be an issue, a lightweight metal man-hole frame and cover and brick chamber for the barrel to go into?
Meadowcopse

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue May 13, 2014 10:39 am

RE; Resealable barrels

Well useful link thanks. Can think of 101 uses, tool storage, water storage, compost / chicken poo holder, glaze buckets, homebrew. Don't 'spose you know shipping costs?
oldclaypaws

Postby Meadowcopse » Tue May 13, 2014 10:46 am

I got a small container for hand-tools second hand for £5 from a pet / poultry feed outlet.
Similar containers of various sizes and quality and lid type on Ebay
Meadowcopse

Postby jennysmate » Tue May 13, 2014 12:15 pm

There are two issues we have with implementing this solution, firstly there is rather a lot of undergrowth in the woods so any hiding hole would have a clear track leading to it. Secondly, it seems the thieves had dogs as there were prints around the security locker and damaged areas so we're worried that they might seek it out and find it that way.

Any tips on the bury a bin type implementations?

I have been looking for storage with a sealable top to prevent water ingress, and a way to make it and the contents accessible but hidden. Also I expect roots to be a challenge and don't really want to be digging multiple holes to find a clear/deep enough spot.

I dug mine in a clearing where I regularly camp, so its surrounded by tracks, I dont think dogs would be interested in sniffing out tools. I cover the entrance with deadwood when I leave.
I chose a spot far enough away from large trees, that roots werent a problem. Great big lumps of fint were the only problem I encountered while digging.
jennysmate

PreviousNext

Return to General