Small Woodland Owners' Group

Vandalism and theft

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Vandalism and theft

Postby Zathras » Fri May 02, 2014 8:48 am

So we have unfortunately been victims of theft and vandalism after only six months of ownership. :cry:

The woodland itself has no public rights-of-way anywhere near it, cannot be accessed by car and the nearest road is over a kilometre walk away via a farmers field. But this wasn't enough to stop somebody breaking into our security locker, burning some of the contents, throwing other property in the pond and stealing anything of value.

Locker

Despite feeling rather depressed about the situation we spent a week in there recently tidying up the mess and can still feel the magic of the place.

However this latest development does mean some of our plans will now need to change, such as any possibility of a caravan or long-term bell tent arrangement are out the window and we'll have to take whatever kit with us every trip- leaving nothing onsite. :evil:
Zathras

Re: Vandalism and theft

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri May 02, 2014 9:07 am

Upsetting. Was the locker in that position ?, it does appear rather prominent and inviting. Someone has made a pretty determined effort to break into it, so it wasn't young kids. Anything of significant value taken? Perhaps camouflage, a shipping container or even burying in a sealed covered container is a solution if you want kit left there. Its a problem we all potentially face, no matter how remote the wood is. Best to take as much home as possible. Sympathies, its a horrible feeling.
oldclaypaws

Postby Zathras » Fri May 02, 2014 9:35 am

The nature of the woodland means it wasn't possible to hide any better and would always be fairly easy to find.

There was quite a bit of value lost, it's surprising how quick it can add up and the locker itself is worth £300 as it was no light weight item.
Also chained to a tree was a Chiminea that has been stolen.

Still, loosing that and the camping stove items means I did have an excuse to buy a Frontier Stove which we can take with us rather than leave onsite.
Last edited by Zathras on Mon May 12, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zathras

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri May 02, 2014 9:58 am

Sorry to read this and the hassle and loss associated.
There is the dilemma of the more secure things are, the more damage and material loss when attempts are made at theft and vandalism.
Hope you reported it so that it is at least a local crime statistic - the NFU / Farmers Weekly and a few independent folk on Twitter etc are trying to raise the profile of rural crime, in the hope that it is an area that doesn't suffer from cutbacks and reduced priorities in policing (there is at least one academic collating trend data on rural crime issues for a study).
Hope it hasn't put too much of a dent in enjoying your woods.
Meadowcopse

Postby Zathras » Fri May 02, 2014 10:33 am

Meadowcopse wrote:Hope you reported it so that it is at least a local crime statistic - the NFU / Farmers Weekly and a few independent folk on Twitter etc are trying to raise the profile of rural crime, in the hope that it is an area that doesn't suffer from cutbacks and reduced priorities in policing (there is at least one academic collating trend data on rural crime issues for a study).
Hope it hasn't put too much of a dent in enjoying your woods.

It was reported to the police and they did send an officer to view the scene.

They logged it as theft of £20 emergency cash we had in the locker and criminal damage as a note to this reference - as we "couldn't be sure everything wasn't in the pond and therefore still onsite." But given the circumstances it would be an open / shut case with no investigation and 'cut-backs' were mentioned as a factor.

I thought it should be three offences myself - Theft, Criminal Damage and Arson as clearly much has been burnt.
After clearing out the pond we have asked for the crime to be updated with details of what we now know to be missing. :roll:

The magic of the woods came back very quickly though after we could see masses of frog and toad spawn in the pond, with lots of toads hanging around - then the sun came out. 8-)

Last edited by Zathras on Mon May 12, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zathras

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri May 02, 2014 6:37 pm

sorry to hear about such bad luck, but looking at the last picture, it was very much in the open, I would have at least pushed it into the bushes more, or was it dragged out?
as for future items, if its the first time in 6 months, then its not passing yobs, are there warning signs on the boundarys? cctv in operation, images will be sent to local police? entering without permission and any weapon is armed trespass? etc, all go towards getting people to think twice.
have you any trail cameras set up? you can get ones that now send pictures straight to your phone/pc, so yes they may get pinched, but you would have a picture of the pincher
why not still install a caravan, but leave nothing in it, barring a few tins and a kettle and a welcome note, leave it unlocked with a note on the note, explaining that its left open to save being broken into, that theres tea/food inside should anyone be hungary etc, you could and would of course leave a hidden PIR recording camera inside, but it would at least give you a base to use when visiting
Dexter's Shed

Postby The Barrowers » Fri May 02, 2014 6:56 pm

Really sorry to hear of your loss
Karma will do as it does. These people may feel they have benefitted but it will be a temporary gain

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sat May 03, 2014 4:16 pm

Very sorry to hear of this.
My wood is accessed direct from a lane, has very obvious access points but has locked gates and signs. I've chosen not to leave anything much there cos of this. There are some bits and pieces but these are hidden in undergrowth or in ditches. I often go there by bike or on foot so carry little with me, I use a small wood gas stove if I'm on my own. I accept that I may lose the little that is there.
The possibility of damage was brought home on a visit last year to a wood where their large shed and all its contents had been burned down. It is surprising to imagine people roaming there causing damage but clearly this is the case. None of us really knows what happens to our woods when we are not there though some of the trail cameras others have used have shown unwelcome visitors.
I had a bad patch at my wood where it was clear cars were pulling in and the entry used for drug taking. Others clearly had lunch and left the remains. I began to dread each visit a little as it started with clearing rubbish. Touch wood! this seems to have stopped. We did involve the police.
I hope you are able to enjoy your wood again- looks like a lovely spot. We have a frontier stove- we got it cos it is portable and safer in a conifer wood. We also have a cheap fire bowl that is hidden in the wood.
I'm intrigued your wood is so far from a road- how do you get there?
SitkaSpruce

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun May 04, 2014 3:02 pm

I am guessing from the arson that you had fuel stored in the locker? I think having anything highly flammable stored on site is a no no as it proves too much of a temptation to the pyro's.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Zathras » Sun May 11, 2014 5:07 pm

Wendelspanswick wrote:I am guessing from the arson that you had fuel stored in the locker? I think having anything highly flammable stored on site is a no no as it proves too much of a temptation to the pyro's.

We did and won't be making that mistake again. :oops:

SitkaSpruce wrote:We also have a cheap fire bowl that is hidden in the wood.

So did we, they found that too. :(

SikaSpruce wrote:I'm intrigued your wood is so far from a road- how do you get there?

By boat! 8-)

Zathras

Next

Return to General