Small Woodland Owners' Group

Bluebell Survey and Protection

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Bluebell Survey and Protection

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:35 pm

England is home to 50% of the worlds bluebell population of Hyacinth non-scripta. They are protected and its a £5000 fine to either dig them up or sell either the bulbs or seed. Theres one licensed seller of native seed in Wales, and another in England.

Those of us who are fortunate enough to own a bluebell wood should familiarise themselves with the legislation, and do their best to protect and nurture this spectacular native English plant.

I easily found several sellers of native English bluebells on Ebay, and have just sent them all a reminder of the law on selling them. They may have come from a licensed source, but you know what Ebays like... Awaiting replies.

I've found if you have a large area of brambles fringed by bluebells and clear the brambles, the bluebells rapidly recolonise the area. A nice simple way of doing your own bit to protect an endangered species and make your wood more accesible at the same time...

Interesting Bluebell Survey here, charting distribution and explaining the legislation too;

http://www.plantlife.org.uk/uploads/documents/Blubells-for-Britain-report.pdf
oldclaypaws

Re: Bluebell Survey and Protection

Postby davetb » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi,
We own a wood with lots of English bluebells and fully agree with you. They are special.
However, when I read these references carefully I can only find it's against the law to dig them up 'from the wild' for commercial purposes.
I have never been able to find a reliable official reference that says you can't dig them up for your own use.
I will be happy to be 'shot down in flames' but think its legal to dig up several thousand 'wild' bluebells and plant them in your own garden.
PS. We have none in our garden - and wouldn't want any.
Does anyone disagree ? And if so can you point me to the reference.
PPS. As a Scotsman, who lives in Wales but owns a wood in England can I point out there are lots of bluebells in Wales and Scotland. The 50% of the world's population relates to the UK.
davetb

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:59 pm

The 1981 Act was beefed up in 1998 to basically stop all selling and trading in any native Bluebells, parts, seeds and derivatives and a host of other plants. This was meant not just to stop picking the wild plants, but the resale market. The only exclusions are a very limited licensed number of growers. (which to the best of my knowledge is one in Wales and one in England).

You aren't allowed to sell Hyacinth non Scripta bulbs or seed or advertise it.

You are also not allowed to pick, uproot or intentionally destroy them, even if you are the land owner, they are protected and you can be fined £5000 per individual plant if offending.

http://www.ukwildlife.com/index.php/wildlife-countryside-act-1981/schedule-8/
oldclaypaws

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:20 pm

Lots of outlets 'legally' sell cultivated 'English Bluebells as seed or in the green
For example, T&M
They quote "only cultivated stock used"
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-bulbs-and-tubers/other-flower-bulbs-and-tubers/english-bluebells/p7146TM

Natural England licensing applications:
http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/images/may-2013-delivery-report_tcm6-36181.pdf
Meadowcopse

Postby davetb » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks, Oldclaypaws.
The uk wildlife reference you posted only seems to relate to the selling of bluebells. It stipulates it is only 13.2 - selling, it is the 13.1 that relates to picking.
To me, it appears that you can intentionally pick, uproot and destroy bluebells, (on your land). Horrific though that is.
Am I still missing something ?
I have spent many days, over the winter strimming and mowing areas to facilitate the bluebells, in our wood.
Our main 'carpet' is on a North facing slope and is yet to flower - it is still a sea of leaves.
We do have scatterings, currently in flower.
The dog enjoys galloping through them, however.
Attachments
image.jpg
davetb

Return to General