Small Woodland Owners' Group

Bluebell and spring flower video, oldclaypaws

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Bluebell and spring flower video, oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:22 pm

As promised, a follow up video to my initial video 'tour', three weeks later, and look at the transformation! A magical time to be in the wood.

http://youtu.be/ND3DYJUQlNc
oldclaypaws

Re: Bluebell and spring flower video, oldclaypaws

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:42 pm

Very Nice
Similar Flora to us

Also got Ladies Smock and Dogs Mercury on the way up

A few bits of Cuckoo Pint (Lords and Ladies also called maybe) And Wild Garlic

A wood neighbour gave us some hop vine shoots which we sautéed / fried and had as veg Nice

Bluebell time really is Great

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby TerryH » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Looking quite superb over there ( and I know a camera doesn't really do justice to the true colour of a wood full of bluebells ).
Sounds like a buzzard or two calling from up above at the beginning...
TerryH

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:03 pm

Buzzards are common here in Somerset, we often see them circling overhead, landing in our trees or just standing on fence posts by the side of the road. They are spectacular creatures, we rather take them for granted, but if you've not seen one before its pretty amazing to see what looks like an eagle flying past. They are big beasts ! We also have a large population of Owls, Pigeons, Robins, Chiffchaffs, Tree creepers, Wrens, Blackbirds, Cuckoos and Woodpeckers.
oldclaypaws

Postby jennysmate » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Another great video, bluebells and akitas, perfect.
Ive been pulling up the white bluebells in my wood, thinking they were some sort of foreign hybrid, like the spanish bluebell and I'd rather see a carpet of blue than white.
jennysmate

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:43 pm

You pulled white bluebells up! Don't tell the Daily Telegraph, they think they're exciting and rare enough to mention in their rag when someone finds them !!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/countryside/5171581/Rare-white-bluebells-found-in-park.html

Must admit, I found this funny looking chest made from shittim timber dumped in the wood: two cubits and a half was the length of it, and a cubit and a half the breadth of it, and a cubit and a half the height of it, and it had gold angels on the ends with strange mist and sparks flying off it. Did think of using it to store the Chainsaw and tractor spares in, but never liked this gaudy retro furniture (the gypsies must have left it), so I chucked it on the fire. :lol:
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:49 am

Just a thought; there are lots of keen gardeners out there prepared to pay a premium for something exotic and mega rare. I wonder what a small packet of white bluebell seed would sell for on Fleabay? Problem is if you did get something ridiculous for it like £500 and the story got to the media, there'd be hoards of opportunist trespassers roaming the countryside in subsequent years looking for them.

The Last known Lady's slipper Orchid had 24 Hour Police protection. Labelling something as mega rare, valuable and desirable is a sure route to its extinction. There's hoards of tourists jet off each year wanting to go somewhere unspoilt, or it was until they got there.
oldclaypaws

Return to General