Small Woodland Owners' Group

tractor,quad or lawn mower

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: tractor,quad or lawn mower

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:35 pm

Bearwood wrote:Looks neat Dexter. Have you put it's through its paces yet? Is it 4WD?

no, hope to get it over the woods sometime this week, technically I suppose it's only classed as 1wd, as if the rear wheels go into mud, then only the free one will turn, now I watch a lot of american you tube clips, and they love using sit on mowers in mud, and therefore they weld up the rear diff, making power go to both rear wheels all of the time, but I've taken the advice of another woodland owner, that doing that has the downside of buggering up the steering slightly when trying to turn, so we shall see, will run it "as is" and see how it goes, we can always remove the rear diff and bring home to weld, should the need arise
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:46 pm

I'm now also the proud owner of a Westwood Tractor. Ebay item 281312724259. Did a deal with the seller, ran over the 15 miles over there today and agreed £150 cash. Had a drive of it round their cul de sac, then drove it a mile across town on the roads for temporary storage at my in-laws place until I can collect it. Its a little beauty, looks pristine (see pictures). I reckon as its really smart paintwork, no dents or rust and well maintained and serviced, it was a good buy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/westwood-ride-on-tractor-/281312724259?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=f%252Fc4IK6uuoHB7QKCAUTWIvVMPh8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It doesn't have chevron tyres, just regular lawn tyres, but our wood is pretty flat and dry so hoping I won't need nobbly tyres or to have to weld the diff.

I tried standing in front of it and pushing against it while matey drove it at me in 1st, just to see how much grunt it had, and it nudged me down the road no problem, so I reckon it'll easily pull a log trolley. The instructions say they can go up a 20% incline and pull 500kg.

Best £150 toy I've bought. Feels like more of a diddy elephant than a donkey.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:51 pm

here's our's proving the bench seat works, and although a little big, it'll tow our trailer too

http://youtu.be/ywGnHQh4Lzs
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:56 pm

nice one paws, westwood are a good well made mower, with proper metal bushes/joints etc, unlike some of the cheaper makes that use plastic
glad one of my ideas has caught on...
Dexter's Shed

Postby Bearwood » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Sounds like you're both fixed up pretty well! Personally I'd avoid chevron patterned tyres on soft ground. Speaking from experience they'll cause disturbance of the ground that will be more of a pain with 2WD.
Bearwood

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:20 pm

If grip is an issue theres always the snowchain option for £60 / pair, but I wouldnt want to turn my paths into mush. You can also get an anti-puncture liner for inside the tyre to protect against thorns if persistent punctures prove to be a problem. We don't have many thorns, but do still have a few bottles lurking in the undergrowth.

Spookily Dexter, I also have the same self assembly trailer from a DIY store, and also a wife who thinks I have no practical common sense. On occasions she's right. I didnt read the instructions on the gearshift (do not change gear when drive is engaged), before setting across town, and found out why. If you disengage the drive and change gear in transit, the slackened drive belts slip off the drive pulley. Not rocket science to get them back on (I hope), but it did mean I had to summon herself to help indignantly push it the final 300 yards up a 1 in 3 hill and was denied my ceremonial triumphant arrival on my new steed !

Biggest task I'll face is trail blazing through the brambles and hazel and clearing tracks to accommodate 'the beast'. I've a couple of old overgrown wide rides, but will need to link them and create a circuit / pitstops / grandstand / winners podium, etc.

It'll be great with a log arch for shifting larger sawn oak beams from milling point to the planned tool shed / Saxon feasting hall construction site.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:40 pm

as ours now has tubes in all the tubeless tyres, punctures will either be delt with via the good old puncture outfit kit and a bucket of water, or we also have some of that foam filler for inside normal tyres, would probably work but ruin the tube, have been told to run the tyres a little under the normal tyre pressure to give better grip
not having drove it yet any distance, I too thought you would start off it 1st and work your way up as travelling, if what your saying is correct, I cant see the first 3 speeds getting used much :lol:
I did think that constant driving certain areas, would save me walking through with the strimmer, also, although I have removed everything that had anything to do with the grass cutter/blades/handles/knobs/pulleys/belts etc, I did think as an afterthought, they could have been used to power something else, like a wood lathe or something, oh well, it always gives me the excuse to buy another :D
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:31 pm

I suggest Dexter you familiarise yourself with the instructions, like what I didn't do. You can download a PDF from

http://westwoodtractorspares.co.uk/part-lists/

They have the manuals at the bottom of the page.

Your tractor will start in high gear, but if doing so engage the drive carefully, it will start off surprisingly fast (you end up sitting on the road). Never change gear on the move (like what I did)- it damages the gearbox. Always stop before changing gear (EG putting on your chainsaw trousers?). Never force the gearlever into another position. 1st & 2nd are for heavy cutting and difficult terrain. 3rd and 4 th for medium pace. 5th and 6th for travelling to the site only.

Having erroneously disengaged my drive belts and studied the drive assembly, as the drive pulley is on the front below the engine, it should be possible to disengage the rear wheels, put another long moving assembly belt going from the same slot forward infront of the engine, to hook up to an independant shaft for woodturning or whatever. Or you could just try pole lathing, which might be more satisfying and less of a faff. :lol:
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:28 pm

yup, read the manuel, cheers for that, looking at prices on that site though, I'd say, remember e bay is your friend, they wanted £7 and upward for one inner tube, I got 3 for £9 from the bay of E
Dexter's Shed

Postby Bearwood » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:51 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:If grip is an issue theres always the snowchain option for £60 / pair, but I wouldnt want to turn my paths into mush. You can also get an anti-puncture liner for inside the tyre to protect against thorns if persistent punctures prove to be a problem. We don't have many thorns, but do still have a few bottles

You can always drop the pressure a little to gain more grip, or use sand channels to get out of a sticky spot. Alternatively, the high traffic areas can be reinforced with Teram or grass matting to allow a little longevity.
Bearwood

PreviousNext

Return to General