Small Woodland Owners' Group

tractor,quad or lawn mower

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: tractor,quad or lawn mower

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:04 pm

the whole point of going for a sit on mower, rather than a quad/ATV was the non storage reason

1, yes, containers are great, but anyone on the pinch, see's a container and comes back with a petrol grinder and cuts it open, thus no one wants to leave anything of value inside,
2, chained to the caravan, wheels removed (easy to do) no battery as it works from the pull start, for £132 if they want the hassle of cutting the chain and trying to carry it out, good luck to them,
3, thankfully as of yet, our woods have never been, as far as we know, visited by non sociable types, the trail cameras have never filmed anything, and not been stolen, our little tin shed is still standing, as too the caravan, my reasons if you remember for buying Chinese imports rather than expensive brands, were so they could be left on site, granted I would not be happy if anything went missing, but I'd be happier if it were just a few ££'s, rather than £££££££££££'s
4, growing up in east london, chains,locked boxes etc are an invite, they just believe a fortune is in there, make something hard, like removing the wheels,that baffles them
Dexter's Shed

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:54 pm

The thing to watch on the Westwood mower is the steering, if you put full lock on and hit a bump/rut the steering track rod brackets between the two front wheels flex and one wheel will go 'overcentre', 90 degrees out to the other wheel. Not difficult to fix by shoving a bar in and levering the wheel back but annoying.
If you have access to a welder you can beef the brackets up, removing any play in the steering helps as well.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:21 pm

Wendelspanswick wrote:The thing to watch on the Westwood mower is the steering, if you put full lock on and hit a bump/rut the steering track rod brackets between the two front wheels flex and one wheel will go 'overcentre', 90 degrees out to the other wheel. Not difficult to fix by shoving a bar in and levering the wheel back but annoying.
If you have access to a welder you can beef the brackets up, removing any play in the steering helps as well.

cheers, Im finding out lots about them, all tips help
Im going to hold fire on the welding of the rear diff, as by all accounts it can screw up the steering, ie going straight when turning, so we will see how it goes
Dexter's Shed

Postby Meadowcopse » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:50 pm

I forgot to mention this handy 70 year old vehicle (which I never bothered to register for the road, as I only have a provisional class H).
Despite its relatively small size it will go almost anywhere and pulls pretty well (lever operated tool-bar / towing pin).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3JOTmOBlOBwOHlScmJfdjVZZnc/edit?usp=sharing
Meadowcopse

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:24 am

Meadowcopse wrote:I forgot to mention this handy 70 year old vehicle (which I never bothered to register for the road, as I only have a provisional class H).
Despite its relatively small size it will go almost anywhere and pulls pretty well (lever operated tool-bar / towing pin).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3JOTmOBlOBwOHlScmJfdjVZZnc/edit?usp=sharing

Is that a Ransomes MG Crawler, always fancied one of those!
Wendelspanswick

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:59 pm

so I have spent this fine day removing all the old mower bits from it, and as the only bit on it that looked worst for wear, I removed the seat, and will replace it with a bench seat, in the hope it'll take two if needed, also ordered a ball for the tow bar, will be taking our small trailer too, as a log carrier, cant wait to get in camo'd and over the woods
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:32 pm

so, added a bench seat, this is in an attempt that it'll take two, for when visiting other plot holders, save the long walk, the Mrs can jump on too,

then out with the nato green paint, theres a few areas that didn't get painted, and Im sure the orange will show it's head again once we get a few bramble scratches on it, but will pick up a few cans of spray in brown/black etc and it'll get thhe camo effect done

Im just waiting delivery on a service kit for it, a new (spare) drive belt and a 50mm tow ball, and front wheel inner tube it'll then get taken over the wood along with the small trailer
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:23 pm

so, the spares arrived today, watch and enjoy, next step, get it over the woods, we have a couple of blown over trees that need cutting up and of course, they are at the furthest boundary, hopefully this with a trailer will make it easier

http://youtu.be/PtfVq26mUkY
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:23 pm

You've given me the bug, now on the hunt for one. Seems a good choice would be look out for one with the chevron tyres already fitted, they can cost something like £60+ each. Local guy at the bootfair had a tractor for £150, but it looks a bit 'plastic B& Q', prefer an older style one which actually looks like a diddy tractor.

Husky apparently make them too, new from £1400.
oldclaypaws

Postby Bearwood » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Looks neat Dexter. Have you put it's through its paces yet? Is it 4WD?
Bearwood

PreviousNext

Return to General