Small Woodland Owners' Group

tractor,quad or lawn mower

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

tractor,quad or lawn mower

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:45 am

I know a few plot holders here have the benefit of a tractor, but on a recent trip to our woods (stayed the night) one of our neighbours let us play on their quad, so of course we came home wanting one, prices vary, but we were looking at items around the 2k mark, including a trailer, but then I started thinking of the added time it would take each visit, having to lug in through from the rear garden,load up, drive at 50mph, etc etc, seems like a lot of faffing about, just to have a quad, that "is it really necessary"
and although to date nothing has been touched in our woods, I think leaving a quad locked to a tree would be pushing it a bit

so we move onto sit on lawn mowers, cheap as chips and would happily leave it at the woods, I would still make it difficult for someone to pinch it by removing the wheels each time, but with the grass cutter removed, it could be made into a nippy little thing, to tow our small log cart from the rear of the woods, or general mucking about on
welding the rear diff will not be a problem, as well as fitting mud tyres,

so has anyone else done this, or do you all think Im nuts
Dexter's Shed

Re: tractor,quad or lawn mower

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:16 pm

I reckon the lawnmower is an interesting idea and I'd be interested in looking at that option. Can someone explain the difference between a quad and mower. Presumably the quad is faster but if speed isnt a high priority, wouldn't a mower suffice in a wood for stuff like pulling a log cart. You'd probably need to take out the mowing assembly.

I notice some ride on mowers are called 'garden tractors', and you can get trailers for them as big as 12' which will carry 340kg (new, £169). Most secondhand ride on mowers seem to be around £400. Not bad, certainly an option worth considering? Anyone tried one on uneven surfaces, like in a muddy wood?.

Good thread Dexter.

I also wonder if like me your wood is nearby, what speed will a garden tractor do, and what are the regulations about taking them on roads? A guy I knew regularly commuted to his wood on his quad bike with a trailer, although it was only about a mile or two. Maybe if garden tractors don't need road tax or insurance, I'll pack in the car and just commute everywhere on a garden tractor like Tom Good.
oldclaypaws

Postby Meadowcopse » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:42 pm

I've wondered about a quad and this one appeals (but unfortunately nearly £12K)!
http://www.electric-quad-bikes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5

A second hand road legal Kubota or John Deere utility vehicle from Ebay / dealer might be a more justifiable option.

I use a Kubota B8200 compact tractor (It has a class1 3 point linkage and power take off, so anything that fits a grey Fergie will work with it.
I also have a 4x4 2.5 tonne dumper, although the increased seat height has to be taken into consideration when under branches.
Both of these are road legal, but depending on your insurers, you need to be quite specific about tree and forestry work, so as not to tie things up in knots and loopholes.
Also watch out with well meaning friends helping out, as both machines have the ability to inflict life-changing injuries if you get things wrong and ignorance is not a defence.

I actually try and sequence tasks and materials so that there is minimal handling and for minimal use of the machines.
It's actually more pleasant beavering away without the sound of an engine running.
Meadowcopse

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:50 pm

the quads you see you the road are simply road registered, but then you need an mot,tax etc, so yes you probably could do that with a brand spanking new mower, but doubtful on getting an old one through an mot

the main difference is 2wd and 4wd drive chain driven quads, a mower has a differential, meaning 1wd, if you get stuck in mud, power would go to the one unstuck wheel, so not good, therefore the rear diff needs taking apart and welding, turning it into continuous 2wd drive on the rear, you could also add better tyres to the rear for better grip, and it's belt driven, so can sometimes slip, but like anything, you pays your money and take a chance
last week I was looking at spending 2k, today I spend £130 and got a sit on westwood mower, so video log on its transformation will follow over the next few weeks
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:53 pm

oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:22 pm

this is the fella Im following on you tube

http://youtu.be/b5FjYSEfkew
Dexter's Shed

Postby smudge » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Keep my trusty old series3 tax exempt land rover down my woods great load lugger
smudge

Postby Meadowcopse » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 am

Vehicles registered as Agricultural Machines are MoT exempt (for now, various discussions in Farmers Weekly forums regarding higher road speeds in exchange for voluntary then statutory testing, then maybe for trailers too...) and zero fee for the Tax Disc. You are obliged to maintain them in a roadworthy condition (and have appropriate insurance).
Forget the poncy quads you see kids on the edge of towns whizzing around on. Something like a second-hand farm Yamaha Grizzly with a few scratches and minor defects is a better buy off Ebay. (I put the expensive electric quad link in the post above because it is silent).

Shouldn't be too difficult to register the mower for road use, but insurance might be a nightmare, particularly if you need cover for forestry use (and you'll need to get insurance by reference to the chassis / serial number before you can apply for registration, one off fee of fifty odd quid) - all of this becomes easier if someone has done it before with the same vehicle type. Agricultural Vehicle insurance through NFU Mutual for me is on a fleet policy - each additional vehicle added about 25% to the annual premium.
I'd recommend reference to the 'Construction and Use Regulations' for motor vehicles - a lengthy document but lots of useful stuff on lights, mirrors, agricultural specific stuff and a lot varies with age of vehicle (also note references to "first manufactured after" or "first registered after" dates).
If you are driving anything unusual on the road, make sure you have a copy of your insurance documents, to avoid heated debate with Mr. Plod and possible confiscation of vehicle on a tow truck). An amber beacon is also recommended.

I registered both my tractor and dumper for road use about 15 years after manufacture, visibly ugly, but mechanically sound and roadworthy (unfortunately Local Vehicle Licensing Offices have been closed as a cost saving measure, so you'll have to deal direct with Swansea).
Also, have a check on any covenants, depending if your wood is part of a larger estate / community of woodlands in case there are restrictions on vehicle access / use.

I've always found these vehicles handy off-road https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6sgxIW3YCs
Meadowcopse

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:52 am

so, having won the sit on mower via e bay, we popped out in the works van to pick it up, why o why do people have house names and not numbers??????????????
we spend a good half hour driving up and down a road looking for a house name, where as a number is so much easier, anyway, the sit on mower is back at home, I think I must have the bargain of the year, as westwood are a decent make and secondhand units seem to hold their money, prices are normally around £400 plus, mine was won at £132 :D
ok, so it didn't come with a cutting deck, but in all honesty, we didn't buy it to cut grass, it'll be used hopefully with a small trailer to pull logs around and general stuff, it'll save me walking over to other plot holders too, just needs a bit of TLC, and painting nato green camo too :D

we will be leaving it at the woods, so although nothing has ever been moved or taken, it'll still get locked to the caravan, and wheels removed when we are not there, why make it easy for someone to push out, it weighs some :lol:

http://youtu.be/gxcHVJiX9q8
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:36 am

Look forward to seeing it in this years British GP. If you beat Ferrari remember you have to wear a bling diamond in your ear apparently.

At the risk of being pessimistic, I reckon it might go walkies or have the battery or other bits nicked. People pilfer the weirdest things, especially if they can resell it for £400. If it proves a useful and fun item, why not investigate the cost of an old smaller shipping container as a secure permanent 'garage' and tool store, or a self assembly metal shed if access is an issue (not as secure but cheap and widely available). My pal keeps his ATV in a 10ft shipping container, but I'd want something pretty secure too if I'd blown £5K on an ATV.
oldclaypaws

Next

Return to General