Small Woodland Owners' Group

Cheap Axes and Mauls - they can be improved

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Catweazle » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:38 pm

There are many cheap axes, mauls and machetes available but they ofter don't cut as well as they should. It doesn't seem to be the steel, although obviously you won't get Gransfors quality for B&Q prices, but more the hand finishing of the cutting edges. Or more specifically the lack of it.

I have experimented with improving the shape of these bargain axes with bench grinders, files, angle grinders etc etc.

Now I have found the ideal tool. A "Flap Disk" is a disk that fits to a standard angle grinder and has many flaps of emery cloth attached:

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FRF/IOMM/F9AZJK09/FRFIOMMF9AZJK09.MEDIUM.jpg

These work really well, gentle enough to allow a good shape, they leave a really smooth finish without gouges, and they are sharp enough not to overheat the steel near the edge - although for a cutting axe you should always leave the very edge to be done with a stone for best finish.

Finishing your axe or maul to the correct profile with one of these makes a real difference to a cheap tool.

Catweazle

Postby Darren » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:03 pm

Why not use a bench grinder?

I've a small Wetterling axe, so far I havn't looked back far less effort than a cheap axe. You have to look at the angle of the handle as well and the strength of the metal.

Darren

Postby Catweazle » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:47 pm

I found that the bench grinder, both dry and wet, wasn't ideal because the shape of the wheel leaves a concave and rough grind. The flap disk is so much better.

I have a Gransfors axe for "best" use, but I won't use it on muddy logs, roots or anything that might damage the razor edge, hence a couple of improved "cheapies". The biggest improvement so far is the reshaping of a Wickes demolition maul into an excellent splitting maul - more effective than I could possibly have hoped.

Catweazle

Postby Darren » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Ah yes best to use a cheap axe underground.

Darren

Postby The Sawyer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi Catweazle, I find that a wet stone is the best although as you say it leaves a concave edge this can be an advantage as it improves the cut with the cheap tools much of the problem is the angle of the edge they break rather than cut. The other advantage is that there is no risk of heating the edge of the blade and lousing the tempering, which can be a problem with faster dry stones and angel grinders.

hope this is of interest

ttfn kester

The Sawyer

Return to General