Small Woodland Owners' Group

How big is yours?

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: How big is yours?

Postby TerryH » Fri May 16, 2014 8:40 pm

smojo wrote:Well it's not quite mine yet ....

That's a very varied list of species for quite a small wood. Good find!
You are about to have some of the best fun of your life when you get to 'move in'. Hope you are ready for that :)
TerryH

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri May 16, 2014 9:23 pm

16 acres in total, hopefully soon to be 20 acres but only 8 acres is woodland, the rest being meadow and a large patch of Gorse and Brambles where the rabbits who keep the grass down live!
Massive ancient Beech trees make up the boundaries with some mature Oaks, Ash, Sycamore, Holly, Hawthorn and Birch spread around the wooded areas but most of the wood is made up of Ash trees planted about 40 years ago.
Its always been known as the Strawberry Fields as wild strawberries grew there before the Ministry for Agriculture made the owner plough it up to plant potato's during WW2, the deer population put paid to the spuds and the strawberries never really came back.
We are slowly making inroads on the gorse, don't want to remove it all as the flowers provide for early bees but we need to cut down on the rabbit hideaways.
One meadow, about 3 acres, starts off flat but becomes really steep, too steep to take a tractor down to top or mow so I am toying with the idea of planting short rotation Willow coppice, about an acre and a half, for fuel for the woodburners.
We are going through the process of buying the adjoining meadow which is 4 acres and has a small conifer plantation at the bottom, again this starts off level but becomes steep so if this purchase goes through the bottom of this will also become willow coppice with perhaps an orchard on the semi flat bit.
We have spectacular views across the Quantocks and the Bristol Channel.
On one hand I would like a stream as we have no natural water on site but on the other hand it does mean we don't seem to be plagued with Midges as I come out in massive lumps when bitten.
We do have a public right of way through the top of the meadow but the path is well worn and up to now nobody seems to stray from it. I was toying with the idea of fencing it in but so far it hasn't been a problem and tends to only get used by serious walkers as its quite a slog up the track from civilisation.
Wildlife consists of a large rabbit, squirrel and red deer population, no badgers or foxes spotted yet. I saw 9 red deer today, they don't seem to be a problem but I haven't planted anything yet!
Wendelspanswick

Postby davetb » Fri May 16, 2014 10:55 pm

Hi,
39 acres.
We only wanted 5 acres but fell in love with bluebells and wood anenomes on viewing.
It was all brambles and bracken when the legal stuff was sorted.
30 Acres of ancient woodland - hazel under ash / oak and 9 acres of Sitka spruce plantation.
I would love water / a pond, so would the frogs - lots of spawn, every year in a wheel rut.
I would love flat access, Defender on mud terrain can't get in in really wet weather.
We are trying to enhance the biodiversity and have dormice, which is fantastic.
Every bird box ( about 40 ) was used last year = more needed.
It has changed my concept of the planet - how can you 'own' it. We manage and 'look after' parts of it.
Beautiful space.
We admired a fox slinking under our gate, recently - the neighbour and his pheasants have a different view.
davetb

Postby smojo » Sat May 17, 2014 1:38 pm

It has changed my concept of the planet - how can you 'own' it. We manage and 'look after' parts of it.
Beautiful space.

Yes we're just custodians aren't we. I know I will not see the things I plant come to maturity but it's nice to think, in some small way, I have put something back and help create a more beautiful space than it was when I got it.

You are about to have some of the best fun of your life when you get to 'move in'. Hope you are ready for that :)

I certainly am. Can't quiet believe it yet and there are moments when I think "what the hell am I doing?" When I went to view the woods again a few days ago, I found a hole about the size of a small pear in the base of a tree where a branch had been cut and gone rotten and hollow. I thought that would make a nice place for a small creature. I looked in and about 9 inches down was a great tit and several young fledglings looking up at me. I quietly backed off with a warm glow in my heart. There were wrens bobbing about, thrushes, blue tits and somewhere in the woods is a peacock. You can hear it call every so often. I remember those things when I have my doubts and the feeling I had sitting with a mug of coffee, just watching and listening and I can't wait to get back.
smojo

Postby Jackdaw » Sun May 18, 2014 7:41 pm

17 acres in total, 14 acres being woodland fronted by 3 of paddocks and boarded on 2 sides by farmland.
200 or so mature Oak, accompanied by hornbeam, ash, hazel ,downy and silver birch, sweet chestnut, wild cherry, willow, aspen, elder, holly, field maple, whitebeam and wayfaring tree. We also have a pond and seasonal streams . I usually pop up every other day joined at the hip by Isaac my black lab, we've just returned home from our latest visit. For the last 2 hours I've literally been sat at the base of an Oak tree, in the setting sunlight, calling various types of woodland birds using my smart phone birdsong app.
Managed to call in and see clearly, coal tit, nuthatch, tree creeper, chiffchaff, spotted woodpecker, and unbelievable a pair of buzzards. Fortunately the wood is only a couple of miles down the road, so visits are easy. Just need to convert the barn to a house and ill be the happiest man on earth. Until then, well use the 8 berth caravan !! ;) ;) ;) ;)
One thing i would change are the bleeding mosquitoes, they are a menace and even test my patience, which for me is saying something. Any advise on deterring these flying needles would be most welcome. Hope you all enjoy your own little havens as much as we do at Beggars roost .
Jackdaw

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun May 18, 2014 8:58 pm

I notice there are free 'mosquito repellant apps' for smart phones, emitting a high pitched noise that repels them. Apparently effective, only problem would appear to be dogs can hear it as well. Maybe worth trying?
oldclaypaws

Postby Jackdaw » Sun May 18, 2014 9:34 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:I notice there are free 'mosquito repellant apps' for smart phones, emitting a high pitched noise that repels them. Apparently effective, only problem would appear to be dogs can hear it as well. Maybe worth trying?

MMmmmmmmm, sounds interesting, Ill have a look, ta.
Jackdaw

Postby Lincswood » Thu May 22, 2014 9:29 pm

Jackdaw, what is the name of the birdsong app, please?
Lincswood

Postby Wendelspanswick » Thu May 22, 2014 10:09 pm

Lincswood wrote:Jackdaw, what is the name of the birdsong app, please?

I wanted to ask the same question!
Wendelspanswick

Postby smojo » Fri May 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Jackdaw, what is the name of the birdsong app, please?

I wanted to know too so I googled and found a cool birdsong app and downloaded it for about 59p. It's called birdsuk and software is by Crispyapps. Good rating. They also do a treesuk app so I grabbed that one too.
smojo

PreviousNext

Return to General