Small Woodland Owners' Group

How big is yours?

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: How big is yours?

Postby Jackdaw » Sun May 25, 2014 2:52 pm

Hi all, sorry for the delay.
It sounds like most of those requesting have found an app, but the one I use is, UK birds sounds by luminous, its free ( of course its free, I use it !! ) and the quality and volume is superb. Opens up a whole new world, I just hope there's isn't anybody out there who would use the app for anything other than just observing the birds, we can but hope I suppose.
Jackdaw

Postby Paradwys » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:12 pm

all in all about 5.5 acres. 2 acres of mixed planted winter 13/14 (sessile oak, alder, birch, rowan, cherry, hazel,) . 2.5 of 14 year old very mixed wgs planting that had never been managed until we bought the place 2.5 years ago. This consists of ash, sessile oak, birch, alder , rowan, walnut (why?? in N Wales,) cherry, aspen, apple, etc. We have started to turn small compartments into rotational coppice in this wood which is working well. The remainder is mature sycamore with hawthorn and blackthorn understory. The new wood has a mature hedge to the weatherside of blackthorn, hawthorn, ash and gorse. The wgs planting is protected by a wide field margin of scrub to the s west and a mature hedge to 2 other sides with the mature wood to the east. The mature wood is on a steep scarp facing s e.
Paradwys

Postby Meadowcopse » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:25 pm

Hmm, possibly just acquired another 17 acres of mixed young woodland not too far from my existing plot.
Appointment with the solicitor on Monday morning...
Meadowcopse

Previous

Return to General