Small Woodland Owners' Group

How big is yours?

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

How big is yours?

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Just asking for a quick response in terms of the nature of your wood. What size in acres? Species mix, oldest and tallest. What would you change about it if you could?

I'll kick off.

5.25 Acres. Oak and Hazel + others, semi ancient copse. Oldest- Pair of 400 Year Oaks. Feels like a cathedral due to the 150 towering 130 year old oaks. Tallest- A Lonesome Silver Pine @ approx 120ft. Only thing I miss is a stream.
Last edited by oldclaypaws on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldclaypaws

Re: How big is yours?

Postby smudge » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi oldclawpaws just over 5 acres mainly ash a mix of others not sure how you age or measure height unless you cut them down & count the rings? have 2 streams (not taking the p...) am in the midst of the changes I want mainly is all year round colour have put in malus &sorbus hawthorn hedge just bought 1000 snowdrops love wildlife so lots of berrying plants, nearly had for a year now just love it cheers,
smudge

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:27 pm

7.2 acres, oak and hazel and ash and birch, plus a few others, its missing a house and pond
Dexter's Shed

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:42 am

2.06 acres / 0.96 ha.
Minimal tree cover (effectively a triangular field) - it was part of a meadow system cut off by a 1980s by-pass and now surrounded by modern agriculture.
I have mature / ageing / decaying hedgerow ash trees along 2 boundaries - half have been radically and successfully pollarded / repollarded. 3 hedgerows are on boundaries recorded on maps from 1690 (showing hand drawn mature trees back then, wood anemones, violets etc in the ditch banks).
The roadside boundary / embankment has 30 year old willow and ash, which I'm slowly coppicing / pollarding (1/5 a year) and adding a sparse hawthorn hedge higher up.
It would be inappropriate as a habitat to turn lowland grassland into woodland (unploughed in living memory / before WW2), but my growing collection of heritage fruit trees, now exists as a traditional orchard at 6 metre grid spacing of 110 trees (6 gallons of cider last year, hic...).
Not just apples, but pears, quince, mulberries, medlars, walnuts, hazelnuts, figs, plums, cherries.
Two corners have been planted with mainly local provenance broad leaf trees for future coppice / pollard management.
There is also a small collection of obscure whitebeam type Sorbus varieties and a row of 5 clonal variations of Elm planted as part of 'The Great British Elm Experiment'
There are also 2 female Black Poplars that I planted as young trees about 3 years ago - one will end up being pollarded, one will be left in its natural form, together with a couple of male trees going in along one boundary.
Meadowcopse

Postby smojo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:22 pm

Two seed trays of sprouting acorns and sycamore keys. It's missing - well everything else. :(
smojo

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:31 pm

8.5 acres. plantation.
one third mature larch and sitka spruce. oldest and biggest 75yr old sitka spruce- dbh of 87 cm- didn't like sitka till I owned some.
other part- mix douglas fir, sitka spruce of about 7yrs and rest vast amounts of self seeded larch.
between this young birch, rowan trees, occasional young oak. 1 v small yew, 1 v small ash.
just enriched with some hazel and goat willow.
got a small stream

what would I change?
paths would be nice ( still working on this- not entered one hectare of it!) and fewer ditches to fall in. and it's on a hill, which is good for views but tiring (sorry- keeps me fit!)
SitkaSpruce

Postby dredger99 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi all.

8.5 acres
Southie wood is a mixture of broadleaves and evergreen which includes cypress and Scots pine there are also some magnificent beech, sycamore, ash, lime, horse chestnut and oak trees.
The south Ugie river is the border of one side of the woodland i would call it a stream rather than a river but i'm not sure how you would define such a thing.
I'm not sure of exact ages of any of the trees but the wood has been around for 100s of years and can be seen on old maps and some of the trees are huge and magnificent.
I intend on doing a walk through video like Dexters soon so you will all get to see my little piece of heaven.

What would i change.
less rhododendrons, i must have at least 1 acre covered if not more.
Better access, not something i really thought about when buying as i never intended on removing wood, but now realize that hauling kit in and out of the woods is not ideal.

Hope this helps.

Southie wood shows up in the sold section of the Scotland section on woodlands.co.uk if you want to have a look
dredger99

Postby Woodsmith » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:23 pm

3.75 acres of ancient woodland. Mainly old sweet chestnut coppice untouched for probably 80 years, some of the these are four stemmers and are very tall. A good few mature oak standards and silver birch also. Understorey of hazel, ash, a few holly trees, and the odd conifer. Wild daffodils, wood anenomes and bluebells in abundance. Badgers and foxes have homes there. All on a gentle slope. At the top of the slope near the boundary are three old agricultural buildings totalling about 2000 sq, feet. I intend to use these for craft activities after a fair bit of renovation.

What would I change- Well, there is more road noise than I thought there would be, but hey,you can't have everything. We own a wood!
Woodsmith

Postby Lincswood » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Just over 9 acres. Mainly oak and silver birch, with some ash, beech, and - increasingly - sycamore. A scattering of conifers, which add some colour in winter. Access is good and the rides are firm but the downside is the proximity to a busy road, so the birds are forced to sing louder. Would trade a dry, firm track for a quiet wood, I reckon.
Lincswood

Postby smojo » Fri May 16, 2014 6:39 pm

Well it's not quite mine yet so being bit premature but ... it's just over 4 acres. About half of it sycamore. A stand of semi mature plus some bigger examples scattered around. My second visit revealed oak, beech, birch, lime, a few horse chestnuts and one sweet chestnut, hazel coppice, a crabapple, small hawthorn and elder so quite a nice mix. Want to create a small orchard and add some small flowering and berry producing species - wild rose (for hips) blackthorn (sloes) etc. Can't wait to get started.
smojo

Next

Return to General