Small Woodland Owners' Group

Getting Logs Uphill!

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Getting Logs Uphill!

Postby Wendelspanswick » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:47 pm

When we first viewed our woods we walked the boundries and came across a huge Beech tree that had fallen across the boundry fence from the adjoining property on to our side.
We purchased the woods and I contacted the adjoining land owner about the tree and she informed me that her gardeners would sort it out in December and repair the fence. The boundry in question is on a steep slope and is at the very top of her large and extensive garden.
Since then the gardeners have made a half hearted attempt to deal with the tree but have admitted that the size of the tree and the location have defeated them.
I have suggested and its been agreed that I will saw up the tree on the condition that I keep the timber and the gardeners repair the fence once I am done.
This needs to be done before the Bracken and Bramble takes over again.
I have no problems with cutting up the tree but getting the logs up the slope is the difficulty. Its too steep to take the tractor down so my plan is to cut and split the tree in situ, load into dumpy bags and with a long wire/strap/rope (about 40M long) drag the bags up the slope with the tractor on the flat.
Anyone have any different suggestions.
Wendelspanswick

Re: Getting Logs Uphill!

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:12 pm

sounds simple enough, perhaps make up a skidding plate to attach the bags too, less likely to catch on anything on the way up

http://youtu.be/xmTzPheywrw
similar to this but without the quad of course

maybe and old car bonnet from breakers yard turned upside down
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:35 pm

If its a huge effort moving the tree, why not just cut it, stack it and leave it in situ as deadwood, it would be great for the ecology.
oldclaypaws

Postby Bearwood » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:10 am

How about a combination of Clay's idea and Dexter's?: Sned the limbs and leave as a deadwood resource whilst cutting and splitting the main trunk along its length (if possible) before skidding it up the hill behind the tractor?

To make things easier on the skidding front, you could look into a PTO winch for your tractor if you had the funds to buy or hire. I know Hesford made some good examples for Ferguson and Fordson, but they are rare (and costly).

Failing the above, if you can get hold of some old rubber conveyor belt (the stuff used in quarries that's about 1/4" thick), you could lay a track of it between your tractor and the bagging area and slide them up that. The advantage is that it's less damaging to the flora and fauna than skidding bags or timber directly along the forest floor, and it can be reused countless times.

You may find that local quarries have piles of old belt that they may let you have for free. Up here there's tonnes of the stuff left all over from the collieries, but it's not much use to you if you're miles away :/
Bearwood

Return to General