Small Woodland Owners' Group

wildlife

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

wildlife

Postby smudge » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:29 pm

the joys & frustrations of wildlife after finishing some jobs up woods today filled up bird feeders sat down nice cup of tea to watch woodpecker bluetits robins feeding oh the joy then a b....y squirrel came & took a whole fatball bigger than his head the greedy b.....d anyone know of a decent gun!!!!!!!! after calming down I thought lifes full of joys & frustrations my old classic cars, my football team, car boot sales,kids,wives,the list is endless, feeling better now rant over,
smudge

Re: wildlife

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:41 pm

right, let's talk squirrels :lol:
we love having our bird feeding area set up around 30ft away from the caravan, and all the different birds that visit, when we started feeding a year ago, the squirrels came in an demolished a few feeders and pinched lots of food, I therefore set up three kania traps, as although I have all manner of guns/rifles to shoot them with, trapping is easier, we caught four before they became wise to these silent killers, but although we have still seen the odd squizzer here and there, as yet they have stayed well away, I have just this past weekend, relocated the two squirrel feeding stations away from the bird feeders, into an area of woodland that does not get much human traffic, we use cheap cornflakes as a feed as opposed to dearer peanuts, the feeders are made with the intention of providing a good backstop for a well aimed air rifle pellet, but having said that, in this first year of owning the wood, and being a full time pest controller, those four squizzers are the only thing I have humanly killed, being in the woods takes my mind off such things :D
Dexter's Shed

Re: wildlife

Postby ballibeg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Love our squirrels. Usually 4 on the feeders. They are reds though!

Dave
ballibeg

Return to General