Small Woodland Owners' Group

Archery in woods

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Archery in woods

Postby Ianrobo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi All, I live north Lancs/ south Cumbria area. and i am wondering if there are any members in that same area, and would consider helping me out.
I have been looking around for a wooded area that is privately owned.
What i am looking for is the ability to either lease on a regular basis or hire on one off occasions to hold archery fun days. and possibly set up an archery club.
Any help or info would be appreciated

Ian
Ianrobo

Re: Archery in woods

Postby Rich » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi Ian,
Welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about archery, but is there a reason you are looking for a wooded area rather than an open field? Presumably you'll want to set some targets up and have a reasonable clear line of site, might not be possible in a lot of unmanaged woods?

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:03 pm

I've a Samick Hunter Recurve bow (draw L/H at about 45lb), make my own traditional field arrows, and took training with my local field archery club which does rent a conifer wood and a field for practice and competition. It seems to work well, they have about 40 members and go round various county shows letting people have a go for £1 a time to raise funds. There's a trail or 'course' through the wood with various foam animal targets set up, some as short as 5 metres away, others maybe 50 metres. You get three shots, and if missing the first, step to the second which is a bit nearer, and then the third if missing a second time. There are various obstacles to be stepped over on the trail such as fallen trees, and it gives the feel of stalking through the woods. Only AFB's, long or recurve bows and wooden arrows are permitted, theres no fancy technology like compound bows or sights used, its all intuitive aim. Its actually surprising how accurate you can get with steady technique and practice, in the back garden over 15 metres I typically group within 15cm of the centre consistently, which would certainly be enough to make me dangerous if defending a castle from besieging invaders or bring home a haunch of venison (were it not for the fact its illegal). The owners of the wood, which from recollection is 28 acres are a local estate, which is happy to get money (I think about £1000 a year) for a few people wandering through the trees, which just quietly continue to grow. For insurance members sign up with the National Field archery Society, which provides insurance and offers entry into open competitions.

Its a chicken and egg situation, do you start a club and look for a venue, or negotiate a venue and invite members. Approaching farmers or private estates might be a good start, most small wood owners will probably have areas a bit smaller than you'd ideally like, my 5 acres is about 150m square, you'll need a fair 'safety zone' between the targets and the outside world, as you'll know an arrow can glance off a tree and carry quite a distance, so I reckon you want at least 10-15 acres. Good luck with it.
oldclaypaws

Postby Ianrobo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:50 pm

Rich wrote:I don't know anything about archery, but is there a reason you are looking for a wooded area rather than an open field? Presumably you'll want to set some targets up and have a reasonable clear line of site, might not be possible in a lot of unmanaged woods?

Hi Rich thank you.
Field archery as its called is great fun. and field archery is done in woods????. it would be good to get both woods and a flat field in an ideal world.
you dont need that much room for fun days and corporate days just a big element of safety.

For a club you need lots more room idealy be able to put out 20 targets ranging from 10- 80yds and lots of room for safety

Ian
Ianrobo

Postby Ianrobo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi Oldclaypaws
Well i shoot the fancy technology :twisted: compound bow 60lb with ultra fast carbon arrows doing over 300ft a second.

I think £1000 a year is a good price. and yes the more space the better to some extent. have a club at the moment its all target but want the field element.

got to admit i wasn't sure of sizes but if yours is approx 150m square = 5 acres then yes will need at least 15 acres

Thanks for the info

Ian
Ianrobo

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:57 am

I also think you need a conifer (fir) plantation. They have a darker understorey and straight parallel trunks, meaning theres little shrubby growth in the potential line of sight. Its normal in deciduous woods to have a good growth of stuff like brambles, side branches, hazel bushes, and saplings in the bottom 2-5metres above ground- basically in a deciduous wood there'll be no clear line of sight and lots of obstacles, you won't find many clear shots and will lose your arrows. Picture of my wood illustrates the point.

deciduous understorey.jpg

Coniferous wood by contrast. You find far less wildlife in a coniferous wood, don't know if this is because theres little plant life to support it, or maybe its because compound archers find it easier to shoot it without any cover. :lol:

coniferous.jpg
coniferous.jpg (51.14 KiB) Viewed 11021 times
oldclaypaws

Postby Ianrobo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:29 am

hahaha...

the better option is your wood its too easy in the coniferous wood and generally too dark.
The brambles are a pain in the leg and where ever else they grab hold. it just makes it more interesting. the plantation type are to regimented
your much better of with obstacles trees at strange angles and low yokes give a much better and more challenging shot.

on the pic of your wood there are 3 saplings in the foreground just to the left there is an opening leading to a tree that is leaning to the left. that would be a good shot with a 3D rabbit or something small the tree will throw your aim
Ianrobo

Return to General