Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tree Bogs

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Tree Bogs

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri May 02, 2014 9:09 pm

image.jpg

Ours is nearly finished, since this photo was taken the floor and seat have been installed and the inner layer of chicken wire has been attached. I am collecting a bale of straw tomorrow to finish it off.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri May 02, 2014 9:12 pm

Here's a closer picture:

image.jpg

It will get christened tomorrow as some friends are holding a May Day party in our woods.
Wendelspanswick

Postby davetb » Sat May 03, 2014 10:08 am

Looks very professional.
What are the plans for underneath?
From my experience you'll need a decent screen around outside of bottom area - purely aesthetic.
If you leave a reasonable air gap between underneath area and top shed area, you are less likely to get any airflow from bottom area to top.
We had 6 straw bales as a screen with the waste falling in centre onto the ground. Was great. Some feral cows destroyed bottom straw, ate half and pushed all the straw randomly into all of the waste area. I screened the bottom with wood and just left the straw. We now poo / wee onto the straw - is ok but not as good as before.
Why are the door hinges on 'non usual' side ?
My hinges are on the same side & door opens inwards - because the tree was the door support and it was the only way it worked.
Please post a finished pic - I love this sort of building, everything you see gives you new ideas.
A work colleague saw my loo pic and said that's very similar to the first thing built in jungles ( eg Belize ) when he was in the army - using 4 trees as support. He hated doing it.
Cheers, Dave
davetb

Postby davetb » Sat May 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Since looking at your pic I've been looking at doors, more closely and lots have the hinge on the right - well EVERY ONE - depending on what side you are. Ignore my incorrect assertion about 'non usual' side hinge.
I like being 'made to think'. My usual job is putting people to sleep, not engineering.
Cheers, Dave
davetb

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun May 04, 2014 3:10 pm

I did ponder your comments on the door hinging, it just seemed the natural way being right handed.

Finally finished the toilet! Just in time for the party:
image.jpg

I have added steps since taking this picture.
Last edited by Wendelspanswick on Sun May 04, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun May 04, 2014 3:23 pm

image.jpg

And a close up of the toilet itself, quite pleased with the seat, it's a piece of Oak and very comfortable.
The Treebog looks a bit 'sharp' in the landscape at the moment but hopefully once the Willow shields it and it has weathered down a bit it should blend in more.

The party was a huge success with a fire pit, a half pig on a spit and a Maypole in the meadow. Lots of forearm injuries from the archery!
We crashed out at midnight but the younger a ones made it till 3am.

This party was organised by some good friends of ours, strictly Medieval attire and accoutrements, wooden beakers, bread trenchers and lots of cider. They normally hold the party in a parents paddock but holding it in our woods made it more interesting.

It's given us some ideas for our own Summer Solstice party, just have to hope we have just as glorious weather.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun May 04, 2014 3:29 pm

those bogs look great, I'd be worried about getting squatters :lol:
Dexter's Shed

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun May 04, 2014 4:05 pm

Groan!
Wendelspanswick

Postby davetb » Tue May 06, 2014 3:23 pm

We have had squatters.
I respect ALL wildlife, however, I did destroy a couple of small wasp nests in the bottom area of our loo.
I couldn't stick my bottom on the seat knowing there wewe wasps below.
Too scary.
We have left all the wasp nests in less 'scary' places.
davetb

Postby Andy M » Tue May 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Wendelspanswick wrote:I did ponder your comments on the door hinging, it just seemed the natural way being right handed.

Finally finished the toilet! Just in time for the party:
image.jpg

I have added steps since taking this picture.

Looks good, but the diagonals on the door should go in the opposite direction (i.e. up and out from the rail) to prevent the door sagging with time.
Andy M

PreviousNext

Return to General