Small Woodland Owners' Group

Useful apps for woodland owners ?

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Useful apps for woodland owners ?

Postby Terry » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:46 pm

there are a number of apps for tree ID and fungi ID - dont have links as dont really bother with this sort of tech, but those that do use them seem to find them useful. I still prefer to thumb through a book, but will have to investigate further some day.
Terry

Postby smojo » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:47 am

After resisting for a long time I just got my first Android phone. TBH it's more trouble than it's worth. Couldn't even figure how to answer a call at first (you have to swipe the screen sideways). Then it automatically downloaded loads of photos from my Google blogs without me knowing and it took me several hours to find how to delete them. I've got Repetitive stress in my wrist now from spending so many hours trying to figure it out.

On a positive note my daughter showed me a couple of cool apps. One is a Google Sky app. It shows live, where all the stars and planets are. I located Jupiter with it the other night then got my telescope out and could see 4 moons around it. That was a real buzz. I put a compass app on too, that would be useful if it worked properly. It's a bit vague but you get a rough idea of North.
smojo

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:11 pm

I downloaded the compass app and found it very good, surprised to find though that my presumed direction of 'South' is about 45 degrees out, what I thought was South is actually SouthWest.

Tracked my position with GPS against Google satellite view and was able to get a clearer idea of where the locations on the ground were versus the map, which was interesting. It'll be very useful when doing a management plan.

Also surprised quite how bright the LED torch app is, very useful.

I'm going to get a day-glo flip cover for the phone, not going to make the same mistake as all the nice dark black and green tools I bought (and have nearly lost within three feet of me). The 'phone locator' apps look useful, for when you forget where you left it.

Don't need the Night Sky map as A) I spent much of my youth on the roof of our bungalow learning the constellations & B) I've a mahussive bleeding computerised telescope with a 10" mirror which has the location of 40,000 objects of interest programmed in and will go straight to them for you. Lack of light pollution means occasional trundles with the telescope to the clearing in the wood are a 'must', it makes a huge difference to the viewing experience to get away from Cities and there are some staggering and beautiful things to see. You get a pretty good computerised 'scope for a few hundred quid these days, its yet another activity to enjoy in the woods.

And yes, the one thing I had trouble with my phone was working out how you answer a call !! Its so much easier when your butler does it, I find. :lol:
oldclaypaws

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:29 am

Don't forget a QR reader, as the excellent people at Alvecote Wood have put together a QR code trail for visitors (something I'm looking at for my heritage orchard).
I was also thinking of AR (Augmented Reality) notes in the wider landscape - but not sure yet of a common platform for apps / compatible readers.
(Point a camera phone at an area / object and the geolocation / imaging gives an overlay a bit like yellow sticky-notes or more advanced detail).
Meadowcopse

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:16 am

I had to look up 'QR codes' to find out what you where talking about, thats another new one to me. While its terribly 21st century to point a phone at something to decode it from a message hidden in a jumble of black and white squares, my first reaction is to ask 'Whats wrong with English?'
oldclaypaws

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:12 am

Additional functionality of the QR code can take you straight to a webpage with the most up to date info (instead of having to re-write pamphlets / displays, can be useful for managing items remotely), or embed a lot more info in a small code than a few pages of text on a label / display (can be read offline by phone / reader without network connection).
Meadowcopse

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Sounds great, and no doubt for the younger generation its a natural, but for old duffers having a free walk round a wood with a nature trail while buying pots, its a bit cutting edge. I'm not 'on the curve', a bit under the surface. Very intrigued somewhat cynically by new technology, but have only recently sent my first text message, and never sent a 'tweet'. Still sealing my letters with sealing wax and starting fires with a flint sparked on pieces of tinder from pussy willow. Stuff like this new fangled printing press and music from magic spinning discs still rouse suspicion in me. Personally, I'd have burnt Prometheus as a heretic and trouble maker. Nothing wrong with steak tartare and woad.
oldclaypaws

Postby Meadowcopse » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:26 pm

That woad is a bugger to scrub off after the various rituals in my orchard and meadow and everyone thinks you are trying to be a character out of the film Avatar these days anyway...
Try the flint striking with bark peelings from birch rather than pussy willow, so much easier - especially if trying to get a 'Wicker Man' style sacrifice going in our climate, for all these harbingers of new technology not from around these parts.

QR symbols and additional info / interaction appeal, as trying to look up 110 individual fruit trees on an A3 spreadsheet or having big plant labels flapping about in the breeze is a pain.
Definitely reminded me to get to Alvecote Wood's innovative and award winning wood and trail on their open days :)

The original post and your comments Oldclaypaws, does raise the question over what is actually useful and worth having regarding new gadgets and how we use them.
Meadowcopse

Previous

Return to General